No announcement yet.

Axis Deer and Freezing Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talked to the Game Warden in Brady this afternoon, he said he has picked up and or dispatched 10 Axis just today on his day off. 9 of them were in the city. Just too cold.

Comment

You gotta feed a cold. They are hitting the protein and corn feeders hard now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Usually have 9 that come up to the house to eat corn daily. (2 really small ones). Only 2 does came up this morning. No sign of the other 7 or the little ones.

Hope they made it.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
          Usually have 9 that come up to the house to eat corn daily. (2 really small ones). Only 2 does came up this morning. No sign of the other 7 or the little ones.

Hope they made it.

Same scenario here

Comment

Was excited to see the whole herd return to the yard this evening to eat corn. The only one missing was the young fawn that was only a couple weeks old. Didn’t expect him to make it. God is good.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              You gotta feed a cold. They are hitting the protein and corn feeders hard now.

Dang that’s good to see!

Comment

We had 50 bales alfalfa taken to the ranch Monday by one of our drivers that lived in SA and looks like it helped. Luckily we still had 6 timed protein feeders throwing as well. Today the owner of the ranch made it there from Kerrville and said we had 50 plus Axis in the utility barn we just had finished built a week ago. He was able to throw coastal hay about the floor and they found it to bed up in. He didn’t see any dead Axis on the main road in. However, he only saw a dozen or so Blackbuck in the barn. Think we may have lost a few of them. My son & I are taking 50 more bales alfalfa from Corpus on Friday, hopefully the trucks bringing it to the feed store arrives Thursday. We may have lucked out.

Comment

Our backyard herd actually increased in size over this storm. Two more does joined the group. And the small 2-3 week old showed up on the porch last night with his momma. He looked pretty weak, but so far he’s still alive.

Comment

My heard has dwindled a little but they dang sure aren't passing up a free meal!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Got this picture from a friend. Supposed to be from around Leakey.

Comment

If they have some thick cover and you feed them they will have good chance. I will have feed a pallet of all stock to my cows this week as well as a round bale a day. They need food to generate energy. If no food Id expect anything to die in this.

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
                          Got this picture from a friend. Supposed to be from around Leakey.
                          Wow!!

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                            If they have some thick cover and you feed them they will have good chance. I will have feed a pallet of all stock to my cows this week as well as a round bale a day. They need food to generate energy. If no food Id expect anything to die in this.
                            100%
                            Put out lots of caller cubes and round bales
                            In 89 freeze I didn’t feed and ground froze and all my exotic sheep froze to death lesson learned

Comment

Omg. Didn’t even think about this. Last thing we needed after losing so many wt to anthrax last year

Comment

This was today

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1226.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	24644886

Comment

Working...
                                X