No announcement yet.

Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I carry a diaphragm turkey call in my ammo/call box just for such events. I've had duck hunts turn into turkey hunts before . I also carry #7 steel. Cause they are good for snipe, woodcock, and dove when it's dove season.

Comment

Are there any Lake A rangers on here?

Comment

Originally posted by lgc999 View Post
        Are there any Lake A rangers on here?

Les! How ya doing? Good to see you posting.

You want-n TBH type A-lake rangers or ACE A lake rangers?

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          Les! How ya doing? Good to see you posting.

You want-n TBH type A-lake rangers or ACE A lake rangers?

Been ok. Rough year. Got laid-off due to Covid cut-backs. Other than that, we are doing well.

I may or may not have left a stand hanging in a tree that disappeared. Not the tree, the stand lol. I know in the past that the rangers would leave a tag on the tree letting hunters know that they took possession of the stand. There was no such note on the tree, so, I assume it was stolen.
          Last edited by lgc999; 01-11-2021, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Sure was an interesting boat ride coming in after dark last night. Driven in snow at night before, but it’s a lot more interesting on the water with fog.

Comment

I've had many trees with stands disappear...although it may be my old age. I wonder if you can call the Whitney office and see if they know who to contact.

Comment

W lake is come up a little more since my last report. It stands at 2.34 feet low.

A lake is 1.03 feet low.

Comment

Well I had a rough season, I scouted 8 miles and found 3 piles of old doe poop. I did another 3 miles in another area and found no sign of deer. I finally found 2 spots that looked ok and hunted them but didn't see anything. I moved up the trail and still nothing. I never found any spots that stood out as a great area. The spots that looked ok gave up nothing. How did yall do? Was I just not in the right area?

Comment

Originally posted by GunnerHunter View Post
                    Well I had a rough season, I scouted 8 miles and found 3 piles of old doe poop. I did another 3 miles in another area and found no sign of deer. I finally found 2 spots that looked ok and hunted them but didn't see anything. I moved up the trail and still nothing. I never found any spots that stood out as a great area. The spots that looked ok gave up nothing. How did yall do? Was I just not in the right area?
                    It takes time to figure it out. I hunted whitney for a few years before I starting killing deer. Now I get atleast one a year. I ended my season this year with a doe and spike. Saw a few young bucks hopefully they get bigger next year. Keep after it. Public land isn't easy

Comment

I've hunted Aquilla before, but I've never hunted Whitney. Last year I hunted other public places and we got drawn for 4 tpwd draw hunts. So I didn't make it out there. I went to spots that I hunted in the past that was good to me, and new spots that I found. I just couldn't figure them out.

Comment

Did you corn or just hunt trails scrapes and rubs?

Comment

Trails, scrapes, and rubs. I stopped putting corn and until this year seen more deer and less people.

Comment

I've always had better luck with corn 🌽

Comment

Originally posted by GunnerHunter View Post
                              Trails, scrapes, and rubs. I stopped putting corn and until this year seen more deer and less people.
                              Any other tips on seeing less people? This year has been ridiculous. I’m glad this season is over. Seen more people, stands, and feeders than the last several years combined.

Comment

Maybe if I was closer corn would be good, but I'm a hour away. The last time I corned a area I had 2 doe's walking in all they had to do was clear this fallen tree and it would've been game on. The first doe seen the corn and stopped and looked up to the trees and backed out.

Comment

Working...
                                X