Bobcat hunt - Bow vs Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobcat hunt - Bow vs Gun

So I have always wanted a mounted bobcat in the trophy room and finally started getting one coming to one of my stands pretty regular.

I think I am going to get some dedicated sits in to try and take one. The question is, do I go with the Bow or the gun?

I have been hunting for over 10 years and never had the opportunity to take a bobcat. Part of me wants to try and take it with the bow to make it more of a trophy but the other part wants to just take the gun out and try and increase my chance.

What say you?

Chances are you won’t see that thing when you hunt for it. If it’s a bobcat what you want, take the gun.

Comment

They're tough animals and can run a long ways mortally wounded and they'll die in the thickest,nastiest stuff they can find. I'd use a gun but that's just me. Enough gun to kill one on the spot.

Comment

Bow if your going to call in day time. Probably gun for night calling. Good luck, your local bird and rabbit population thanks you.

Comment

12GA is what I am going to use. I have a big Tom roaming the feeders I need to deal with.

Comment

A GOOD bobcat mount is expensive
            a lot of bad ones out there

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              They're tough animals and can run a long ways mortally wounded and they'll die in the thickest,nastiest stuff they can find. I'd use a gun but that's just me. Enough gun to kill one on the spot.
              Whats "enough" gun for one?

I have a 223, 308 or a 20/12 gauge

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                A GOOD bobcat mount is expensive
                a lot of bad ones out there
                My taxidermist does them for like 1200ish. They look great

Comment

I have shot them with a 223 and 17 HMR both work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo6 View Post

Of those I’d use the .223 for anything beyond 50 yds, shotgun inside of 40-50 yds. Carry both to your stand ideally.

Comment

Bow, I took mine with a longbow.

Comment

Originally posted by dustinztx View Post
                        12GA is what I am going to use. I have a big Tom roaming the feeders I need to deal with.
                        I have killed somewhere near a dozen cats with 7 1/2 shot. They die quickly with little pelt damage. The one I shot with a .257 STW was pretty rough.

Comment

Use the 223 with least exploding tip you can find.

Comment

I like a .223 using Hornady 52gr.BTHP's but a v-max,softpoint or anything but a full metal jacket will work fine. You want a bullet that'll expand or fragment inside the bobcat,dumping all of its energy inside its body and shutting it down quick. A full metal jacket will blow straight through. If you do blow a big hole in it a taxidermist can fix it. If you shoot it with a bullet that doesn't expand or too small of a cartridge or bird shot in your shotgun you're not gaining anything. If it runs off you can't do much with it.

12 gauge with BB shot or #4 buck will shut one down and not cause much fur damage.

Comment

I've shot them with 17hmr, .221 fireball, 22-250

Comment

Working...
                              X