Pit restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit restoration

Ok, just bought me a mint Lincoln AC225 with my main goal being to build a smoker. Then yesterday I happened by a garage sale that had this Lyfetime for $50. Could not pass it up. The fire box can be cleaned up and probably used for another season but metal is getting really thin after knocking off all the rust layers. Smoke chamber and legs just need wire brush and paint.
    Not sure if it’s best to try and salvage what is there with a new bottom or just find some 16” pipe and start a full replacement?
    If I go replacement I might also consider trying to build an actual box and insulate but my stic welding experience pretty much ended with my high school AG classes 30 years ago. Gonna be fun whatever I do[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should've bought you a 240 MIG rig. Might've been easier for that type of project and relearning to weld.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

The great thing about wood and steel is that anything can be fixed or replaced by more wood or steel. Just get some hood time and upgrade that thing in pieces as needed until you have the pit you want. That's a great starting point.

Comment

Heck of a deal you got on that pit. I think I’m about two years away from having to rebuild the firebox on my AllSeasons pit.

Comment

agreed, great pit to breathe some new life into. I picked one up for free when Harvey hit, they are well made, and I'm sure you could make a new firebox for it.

Comment

The more I work on it the happier I get (could be the beer). Metal left on the firebox bottom is still thicker than anything the box stores sell. Need to straighten the air vent and weld a little adjustment handle on it and aside from that, this thing is ready to smoke. Considering just grinding to bare metal and welding in a flat 1/4” plate for a new
            firebox floor. Brush and paint the entire outside then start cooking.

Pellet smoker is going up for sale. I’m tired of brisket without good bark.

Comment

Get a piece of metal rolled and set it in the bottom of the box.

Comment

Well this project seems meant to be. I was searching for 16” pipe to build a new firebox. Found a few options and all were a bit pricey for plain old pipe that I’d have to de-rust. Then I was stressing over trying to buy or fabricate new hinges, handles, etc or reuse off the old one.
                Was browsing nextdoor and came across this grill 12 miles from home. It’s pristine and almost an exact replacement for the firebox. Just cut my welding in half I think and only have to paint the smoke chamber, legs and wheels now! Should have this one finished up this weekend. With the pint of BBQ paint I’m $185 in.

Comment

Well I probably forgot more than I ever knew about stick welding. It ain’t easy but I got the box stuck on. In the end I will grind and cover as I am just now starting to get some decent beads. Long way to go and no way I can weld from the bottom so I’m gonna have to find a way to flip this thing. Once again my eyes were bigger than my stomach project wise[emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                  X