Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2023, 12:46 AM   #1
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default Trophy sized badger.

Had a huge one run out in front of me tonight. My vehicle sits low enough I drug him a ways but it didn't kill it. I called the guy that owns that land next to where it was and asked if I could hunt out there. For the sole purpose of trying to get it shot. I've killed a lot of 'em in my life but I don't think I've ever shot one as big as this one was. I'm thinkin I'll probably get a rug made out of it if I can catch it out messing around.

That's my target animal for the rest of the furbearer season. I don't have one mounted or anything so this one's as good as any. I'll post it here if I can get him shot before the end of this month.

Trophy sized badger might be a stretch. I don't know how big a trophy sized badger is. But it's big one.LOL That son of a gun was all there. It made a racket when it was rolling around under there. Didn't hit it with a tire so I'm sure it's fine. Just gonna be a little sore tomorrow.

Last edited by okrattler; 02-03-2023 at 12:48 AM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 01:08 AM   #2
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier
Default

If you’re not selling the fur then isn’t it ok to shoot one any time of the year?
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 01:22 AM   #3
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
If youíre not selling the fur then isnít it ok to shoot one any time of the year?
There's a season on them here but in Texas I think you can shoot them any time. There's no bag limit on them in Oklahoma though so realistically you could shoot as many as you possibly can. Bobcats there's a limit of 20 and 2 red foxes I believe. Raccoon,beaver, badger,coyote and striped skunk you can shoot as many as you want in Oklahoma. Skunks,beavers,coyotes and raccoons are considered a furbearer but have no season. I honestly don't know how it all works or why one is favored over the other or what determines what has a season on it or bag limit and what doesn't. Heck even a opossum has a season on it here. Unless something is causing a nuisance and then it's fair game any time of year. Tearing up property and killing livestock and things I guess would be the exception there.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 01:25 AM   #4
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier
Default

My bad, I was thinking about Texas law. Good luck I hope you get it.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 08:59 AM   #5
wytex
Ten Point
 
wytex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming
Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default

Texas allows the take of fur bears with a hunting licenses any time as long as you are not selling the hide.
To sell the hide a fur bearers license sir required.
Recreational take, by a hunting licenses for yourself, has no closed season.
Nutri and beavers have separate season but fir bearers can be taken with that license Nov 1- March 31.

Badgers are cool but nasty at the same time.
Good luck. It will smell like a skink so de smell it before skinning it- peroxide, baking soda and Dawn mixture does it.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 09:01 AM   #6
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
Texas allows the take of fur bears with a hunting licenses any time as long as you are not selling the hide.
To sell the hide a fur bearers license sir required.
Recreational take, by a hunting licenses for yourself, has no closed season.
Nutri and beavers have separate season but fir bearers can be taken with that license Nov 1- March 31.

Badgers are cool but nasty at the same time.
Good luck. It will smell like a skink so de smell it before skinning it- peroxide, baking soda and Dawn mixture does it.
I haven't killed one in Texas. I've shot over 100 in Oklahoma though. They do stink but I'll let the taxidermist take care of that. Seems like they stink less after they're froze a while.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 09:20 AM   #7
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young
 
muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Euless, Texas
Hunt In: Sterling County
Default

Badgers are the bad***** of all the weasel family. Had a young half grown badger whip 2 redbone coonhounds one night up on LBJ Grasslands and then tried to start in on me. Only animal I ever saw that could dig a hole down thru solid cliche rock. IF you get it, it should be easy to peel. Them things can turn completely over inside their own skin.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 09:25 AM   #8
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Badgers are the bad***** of all the weasel family. Had a young half grown badger whip 2 redbone coonhounds one night up on LBJ Grasslands and then tried to start in on me. Only animal I ever saw that could dig a hole down thru solid cliche rock. IF you get it, it should be easy to peel. Them things can turn completely over inside their own skin.
Oh yeah they're shifty guys. You ain't kidding about how they can dig. I saw a badger hole in the middle of the dirt road a few months ago. I thought "out of all of that irrigated winter wheat field you could make your house in and you chose the hardest dirt to dig through?"

They're not the brightest creatures. I'd say more curious than anything. Most of the time they'll run down their holes and peak back up to see what's going on. Ain't scared of much.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 11:26 AM   #9
Burnadell
Pope & Young
 
Burnadell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: White Oak
Hunt In: Bee County
Default

Name:  2A3BE9C3-4752-4A0B-8941-77FD92B64D23.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  112.6 KB
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 11:39 AM   #10
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I'm hoping I'll have one before long. I need to get this one in the freezer. My taxidermist won't be accepting work until later this year but that's alright. If I can get it shot it'll keep.

I would go full body mount it's just that I ain't really got the room for it. I think a badger rug would look pretty slick.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 11:56 AM   #11
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young
 
Drycreek3189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Troup
Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties
Default

The only time Iíve ever seen a badger really close was while I was antelope hunting in Wyoming. I thought I recorded him with my video camera but forgot to push the dang record button, either that or pushed it then pushed it again and turned it off.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 12:05 PM   #12
Fishndude
Pope & Young
 
Fishndude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, Texas
Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties
Default

Theyíre mean little suckers. When I shot this one, he grabbed the arrow(still in him) and bit it in half.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 12:10 PM   #13
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
The only time Iíve ever seen a badger really close was while I was antelope hunting in Wyoming. I thought I recorded him with my video camera but forgot to push the dang record button, either that or pushed it then pushed it again and turned it off.
We see them quite a bit up here. Although I have seen a two in Texas. One ran across the road on a ranch near Sweetwater,Texas. Didn't shoot that one. The other one I can remember seeing was dead on the highway. I think it was around Childress I think. I can't recall exactly where it was. Those are the only two I can remember ever seeing that far South. Of course around Perryton and around Borger,Dumas and Pampa I think there's probably quite a few.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 12:11 PM   #14
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Theyíre mean little suckers. When I shot this one, he grabbed the arrow(still in him) and bit it in half.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Pretty cool bow kill. I can't say I know anyone or have ever heard of anyone getting one with a bow.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 12:27 PM   #15
da_pepper
Eight Point
 
da_pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Burleson, Tx
Hunt In: Public/Private
Default

The bloodline my European/Russian Daschund is from, the dad was a bad ARSE badger/fox hunter. Guy was a hunter in Russia. Nose was all scarred up from getting in their dens. He was a beast. Of course, his son, who is also 100% Russian Daschund, could jump on top of a countertop. So very agile.
da_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 12:37 PM   #16
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_pepper View Post
The bloodline my European/Russian Daschund is from, the dad was a bad ARSE badger/fox hunter. Guy was a hunter in Russia. Nose was all scarred up from getting in their dens. He was a beast. Of course, his son, who is also 100% Russian Daschund, could jump on top of a countertop. So very agile.
Those are some huntin son of a guns. I like those little dogs. They're fearless.

My mom has two and one is a killer. She's always got her head stuck under something looking for mice. She's a go getter. Worries me though because she ain't scared of snakes either.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 12:53 PM   #17
Bill
Pope & Young
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sheridan, MT
Hunt In: Montana
Default

I have badger holes on my property here in Montana, and have seen one crossing the road. My neighbors warned that they're mean little sob's and if I go to kill one, have a big enough gun/rifle and keep shooting.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 01:23 PM   #18
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I have badger holes on my property here in Montana, and have seen one crossing the road. My neighbors warned that they're mean little sob's and if I go to kill one, have a big enough gun/rifle and keep shooting.
I mostly shoot them with a .22mag. Every now and then a .223 or .17HMR. They're not super hard to kill unless you shoot them in the butt as they're running off.

Most of the time you get a head,neck or chest shot. Unless they're running to their hole then just shoot them wherever. They'll either fall down stone dead or stop long enough you can hit them again.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 01:28 PM   #19
Hills of Texas
Ten Point
 
Hills of Texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Llano
Hunt In: Llano
Default

If you drug him with your car, he might be pretty skinned up. If he doesn’t die from injury or infection you might get a decent hide out of him next year. If he got drug I’m betting you don’t want to try and mount the hide right now.
Hills of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 02:01 PM   #20
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills of Texas View Post
If you drug him with your car, he might be pretty skinned up. If he doesnít die from injury or infection you might get a decent hide out of him next year. If he got drug Iím betting you donít want to try and mount the hide right now.
I thought about that. I drove back and didn't see any fur or blood on the road but I'm sure he got a little road rash. I figure he'll heal if he does. I don't imagine I'll shoot him very soon. Then again I may see him again later today it's hard to say really. He's a dandy, it'll be hard to pass on him if I see him again.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 02:06 PM   #21
wytex
Ten Point
 
wytex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Wyoming
Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default

If okrattler doesn't mind, this is a badger we caught in a bobcat set. Didn't know it was around. Had it by 1 toe, it dug up everything it could within reach.
He was not huge but a nice say medium to large male.
We later caught a huge, 39 lb tom bobcat in the reset trap.

Note the coyote tracks, they checked him out in the trap.

Husband case skinned it out and tube skinned the front legs with feet on it. He did a great job skinning the legs and front feet and removing the foot bones. The tanning turned out great, Moyle did it.

He has another to do when it thaws out. I'll try to remember to measure it when on the stretcher.
Attached Images
   
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 02:10 PM   #22
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
If okrattler doesn't mind, this is a badger we caught in a bobcat set. Didn't know it was around. Had it by 1 toe, it dug up everything it could within reach.
He was not huge but a nice say medium to large male.
We later caught a huge, 39 lb tom bobcat in the reset trap.

Note the coyote tracks, they checked him out in the trap.

Husband case skinned it out and tube skinned the front legs with feet on it. He did a great job skinning the legs and front feet and removing the foot bones. The tanning turned out great, Moyle did it.

He has another to do when it thaws out. I'll try to remember to measure it when on the stretcher.
I don't mind. People can share whatever they'd like.

I've only caught one badger while trapping. That son of a gun was digging like a mad man even while caught.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 02:44 PM   #23
da_pepper
Eight Point
 
da_pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Burleson, Tx
Hunt In: Public/Private
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Those are some huntin son of a guns. I like those little dogs. They're fearless.

My mom has two and one is a killer. She's always got her head stuck under something looking for mice. She's a go getter. Worries me though because she ain't scared of snakes either.
For sure. I got him to be my tracking dog. Had his first recovery at 13 weeks. And he loves fresh blood.

He is a family dog too, so not sure I want him as aggressive as his Russian bloodline, but I still thought it was pretty cool.
da_pepper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 09:03 PM   #24
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rogers TX
Hunt In: Bell County, Limpopo South Africa
Default

Stinky little bastages. Almost as bad as a skunk. $1100 full body mount with a base!
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 09:11 PM   #25
M16
Pope & Young
 
M16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties
Default

I’ve killed several in South Texas. Called one in while hunting coyotes. Snared a few. And killed a few riding around.
M16 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 09:33 PM   #26
BrokenJ
Ten Point
 
BrokenJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Default

Caught 8 or 10 a year in south Texas using snares. Live oak and karnes county areas. Looked like a bomb went off under the fence. You always knew what you had. Even had a male in the hole with a female one time. He took off when I walked up, like feet away. Craziest thing I’ve seen. Also they hunt sometimes with coyotes as a team. Buddy watch a couple yotes and a badger play in the road in out of a blind. Thought they were fighting at first but after a few minutes it was clear they were playing.
BrokenJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-03-2023, 11:19 PM   #27
RifleBowPistol
Pope & Young
 
RifleBowPistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default

I have only see two in my life, both in south Texas. The first one, we used to see regularly, his den was about 100 yards from our camp. The second one, I saw while I was hunting one afternoon. That was a huge badger, it was stalking a javelina. I was hoping to get to see it attack the javelina, but the javelina realized something was up and took off. That second badger, dwarfed the one we used to see near camp.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com