Bobcat Trapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bobcat Trapping

We've been on a mission to trap this bobcat since we watched it on video eating our beloved shop cat. Using duck carcasses over mb550 foot traps, bobcat came in tonight and we watched live on trailcam as it embarrassed us, somehow avoiding being trapped. The carcasses were hung with wire above the traps and we watched live as the bobcat hung from the duck and swung around, stepping all over the trap. We'll see what happened in the morning. Pure disappointment.

We've stepped up trapping over past week and had 4 coyotes in 2 days, numerous beavers and a ton of otters. Two coyotes and 1 bobcat have eluded us.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Used to catch them in big live traps with a rooster as bait. Brush the trap in so it has to crawl through the opening and you got it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tractor supply sells a huge Have A Heart type live trap with an internal bait cage for a live chicken or bunny. With the current egg shortage you might consider a house cat or chihuahua as bait.

I have also caught bobcats in snares and conibear style traps.

No bait, but just a chicken feather hanging on a string over the set also can work. use multiple leg traps carefully concealed near the hanging feather

Caught this one a few months back in a #220 connibear near my chicken coop, #330 is normally recommended for bobcat. I was surprised that she went the smaller #220 But I guess she had her heart set on a chicken dinner.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by texasair; 02-01-2023, 10:32 PM.

Comment

We have a large live trap which I haven't had the best of luck with besides stray dogs, and several connibears which have been very successful. We originally used an old live chicken with connibears and foot traps around the cage, but hawk killed chicken. Seems duck carcass is good now and it'll be comfortable coming back in. Going to add more foot traps and a connibear under hanging duck carcass.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Put that duck on a large treble hook and your cat will be caught.

Comment

Do the same thing again but this time Set more MB550's. At least 3. Flats sets.. Pour chicken blood around traps. Make him move around.

Comment

Following this adventure

Comment

live traps worked well for me , foot traps not so much .

Comment

I've used leg traps around a cage with a live chicken in it. We were losing a chicken a day to a bobcat, kept them cooped up a couple of days and caught it first night/day had traps out. I'm with others, I would set a few traps under the duck that cat will obviously take the bait.

Comment

Don’t hang the bait. Funnel him down a path to get to it. Lots of feathers. Make him step over a small stick to get to the bait. Put your trap on the other side of the stick so when he steps you have him. Cats are not scared of anything and you can block them all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by hogmess View Post
                      Don’t hang the bait. Funnel him down a path to get to it. Lots of feathers. Make him step over a small stick to get to the bait. Put your trap on the other side of the stick so when he steps you have him. Cats are not scared of anything and you can block them all day long.
                      Best advise given. Cats are usually pretty easy to catch. Block everything but your trap and you’ll catch him.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                        Following this adventure
                        me as well, good luck OP

Comment

Originally posted by hogmess View Post
                          Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                          Best advise given. Cats are usually pretty easy to catch. Block everything but your trap and you’ll catch him.
                          Agree !

Comment

I've had good luck with a live chicken in a cage as well. push the cage into some very thick brush where it can only be approached from one side. Place 2-3 footholds in front of the cage. Fence as needed to funnel the cat into the traps.

Comment

Originally posted by crittergetter76 View Post
                              I've had good luck with a live chicken in a cage as well. push the cage into some very thick brush where it can only be approached from one side. Place 2-3 footholds in front of the cage. Fence as needed to funnel the cat into the traps.
                              Also effective if you've got a coyote lurking around, vs. a live trap. I've caught both this way when I wasn't sure what was eating chickens

Comment

Working...
                              X