Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the allure in going to a resort in Mexico?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since we started diving, all of our vacations have been warm water based. The Caribbean has awesome diving. The cheapest, all inclusive dive resorts happen to be there as well. Comparatively speaking, you can do 2 for 1 in the Caribbean vs somewhere like the Florida Keys.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
      I had rather go spend a weekend or week at my deer camp and relax

Probably an easier decision when one is single. I do that 10-12 times a year (5 hours one way) so the wife has different ideas when we go on vacation. It's a nice change

Comment

What's the allure in going to a resort in Mexico?

Some of you guys have really wild imaginations…

For $3500 bucks you can get on a plane for 2 hours, take a short cab ride, and spend 3-5 days at a beautiful 5 star resort where you can have any food or drink you want, set around a pool/beach, and never hear a phone ring. There’s golf, and adventures there if you want them. It’s very simple.

At this point I’m kinda done with it, but we used to go every year and it was a ton of fun. I’d still rather go to Mexico than Florida…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          Some of you guys have really wild imaginations…

For $3500 bucks you can get on a plane for 2 hours, take a short cab ride, and spend 3-5 days at a beautiful 5 star resort where you can have any food or drink you want, set around a pool/beach, and never hear a phone ring. There’s golf, and adventures there if you want them. It’s very simple.

At this point I’m kinda done with it, but we used to go every year and it was a ton of fun. I’d still rather go to Mexico than Florida…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t bring facts into this. Keep letting them think they will die. I enjoy the peace and quiet on those beaches.

Comment

I prefer Florida.

An added benefit is that I'll never accidently run into Moser.

Comment

It all depends on where you are going and what you are planning to do. If you are just gonna get drunk and lay on the beach you can do that in Padre but we do more than that. I take my boys fishing, snorkeling, scuba diving, hiking, site seeing, and we play golf. My wife likes the customer service way better in Mexico and South America than she does in the states. She always says the people are grateful to have us there spending money in their country instead of treating us like we are a burden/job.

Round trip tickets to Cancun for all 6 of us are running about $1,200 right now and a week at the resort will cost about another $3 -4k. Tell me where in the United States I can take 6 people and vacation for an entire week for $4,500 that has white sand beaches, clear blue water, and all you can eat food and drink? Hotels in the Keys want $600 per night. Destin isn't much cheaper and 5 days of park hopper tickets to Disney World would set me back $4,500!! And that doesn't include flights, hotel, food, or activities in the parks... I don't know how some of y'all can afford not to travel overseas.

Comment

It's not just Mexico for me, but I have never wanted to spend a bunch of money and travel somewhere far away just to sit by the pool or on the beach and read a book or whatever. I like to go to interesting places and get out and see as much of it as I can. I like to hike and explore, visit the shops, eat in the restaurants, meet some locals. We've stayed at some REALLY nice resorts, but we never just hang out in them. We walk past people sitting by the pool reading on our way out the door every day. They seem to be enjoying themselves, so it's cool. Just not for us.

When people talk about resorts in Mexico, they usually say some version of, "it's very safe as long as you stay on the resort." We have friends that go multiple times every year. They love it. Just not for me.

Same for a cruise. I like to get away from people when I'm on vacation. Being on a ship with hundreds of other people would feel like hell on earth (or hell on water) for me. I know you can get off the ship for a few hours during the day, but having to stick to somebody else's schedule would suck too. But millions of people enjoy cruises, so that's cool for them. I can't imagine that I'll ever join them though.

Comment

I prefer Mexico over Florida. I can lay on the beach and nobody bothers me. The last time I tried that in Florida they kept dragging me back into the water and I don’t know why !!

Comment

I understand the appeal. It's a cheap'ish pay and go vacation. You don't have to worry about anything.

I've done it and didn't really enjoy it. To each their own.

If you want relaxing, go rent a beach house in one of the smaller towns south of the Riviera. Stop in Tulum to get your groceries. Fewer people, cheap and delicious food, quiet, dark nights, great flats fishing, and some of the nicest locals and ex-pats you'll ever meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                      Since we started diving, all of our vacations have been warm water based. The Caribbean has awesome diving. The cheapest, all inclusive dive resorts happen to be there as well. Comparatively speaking, you can do 2 for 1 in the Caribbean vs somewhere like the Florida Keys.
                      Have you been down to Xcalak?

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                        I prefer the mountains. Winter vacations rock.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                        Me too. My wife and family prefer the beach and I'd rather be in the mountains.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                          Me too. My wife and family prefer the beach and I'd rather be in the mountains.
                          Same.

Comment

The high in Destin today is 53. The high in Playa next week is 82, when I get to hop on a plane in snowy DFW and fly down there

Thats the allure.

Comment

I can go to Mexico about same price as Galveston… and about 1/3 of Florida. Been countless times and loved everyone of them. Most food is mehhh but so is Florida

Seaweed is Killing them now, we have since gone to DR on the la romana side and prefer it. But if you can’t find a good time in the Mexico Caribbean, you are living a sad sad life

Comment

The workers in Mexico and DR and 1000x more hospitable then anywhere in the USA, all inclusive, scenery is great and theres women from all over the world usually in thongs.

The only downfall is usually the food. It's usually average at best especially beef products.

Comment

Working...
                                X