No announcement yet.

Ilegal 9 point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can’t eat them horns. Guess the Texas parks and wildlife forgot that people eat deer. Not just mount them.

Comment

I understand both sides of the debate. If you don’t buy into the AR regs, then all of the elitist hunters think you are a member of the “if it’s brown, it’s down” clan. My guess is, before it’s over with, the State will want all bucks to be P&Y minimum. Because we all know that if a buck doesn’t meet a certain criteria and you want to reward your youth hunter with their first ever deer, then you’re obviously a bad parent and shouldn’t be allowed to take to your kids hunting.

Comment

Ilegal 9 point

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        Not even close..

Attended a high school sporting clays event today. In the rain and mud. If there was one there was 175 kids there. Im willing to bet 90% of them deer hunt. I know every one of the 40 or so I knew do. With their parents.

Id also like to add our high school team had 5 shooters last year. We're over 20 this year. Kids shooting sports is growing leaps and bounds!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TPWL say youth hunter numbers are down.
        My son hunts, been going to the deer stand with me since he was 2.... he’s in the minority at his school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
          the whole youth should be exempt is the exact same mentality as everyone gets a trophy. we need to teach our youth that sometimes the reward comes with hard work and effort. if you feel your kid will lose interest if they dont get to shoot a deer take them squirrel hunting or coon hunting or some other sort of hunting where shot opportunities come more often then transition them to deer.

congrats to the OP's kid for doing the right thing.
          I agree with u on this. I understand you wanting ur kid to be able to harvest something so that u can celebrate and be proud of them but teaching ur kids patience and what it takes to put in the effort is what it’s all about. If they can kill something every time they go out and put in no effort to kill anything then what’s the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Calfroper81 View Post
            I agree with u on this. I understand you wanting ur kid to be able to harvest something so that u can celebrate and be proud of them but teaching ur kids patience and what it takes to put in the effort is what it’s all about. If they can kill something every time they go out and put in no effort to kill anything then what’s the point.
            I don’t think anyone is saying or expecting their kids to kill a game animal every time they step foot in the field. Real hunters know this can’t and won’t happen EVER and not training their youth hunters to have those kind of unreal expectations.

Comment

It’s a frustrating situation for sure, let him shoot a doe if you can and keep taking him. I’m betting he will wait for the right one, congratulations to him for understanding the rules and passing on the buck.

Comment

I’ve started to pay attention to this trend the last few years, and where I’m at it’s certainly true that hunter numbers are declining (we’ve lost 18,000 hunters in the last 5 years in Arkansas). In Arkansas! A state far more rural than Texas that is renowned for hunting. 18,000!!!

People just aren’t getting into it like they used to. Luckily, our youth hunters can shoot the first deer that steps out & I wholeheartedly believe they ought to be able to. We are blessed to have really good deer hunting and really good numbers, but a lot of deer MUST be shot to maintain balance!

It’s late black powder season in my zone. I hunted on top of a ridge in the absolute heart of north Arkansas deer country this morning. Beautiful snowy morning, deer were moving everywhere, and I heard a grand total of ONE shot. No one is in the woods anymore!

Comment

We started on squirrels, rabbits and game birds. Well actually we were murderous little bastages with BB guns on sparrows before that. Hunting was in our blood long before deer hunting.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                    I’ve started to pay attention to this trend the last few years, and where I’m at it’s certainly true that hunter numbers are declining (we’ve lost 18,000 hunters in the last 5 years in Arkansas). In Arkansas! A state far more rural than Texas that is renowned for hunting. 18,000!!!

People just aren’t getting into it like they used to. Luckily, our youth hunters can shoot the first deer that steps out & I wholeheartedly believe they ought to be able to. We are blessed to have really good deer hunting and really good numbers, but a lot of deer MUST be shot to maintain balance!

It’s late black powder season in my zone. I hunted on top of a ridge in the absolute heart of north Arkansas deer country this morning. Beautiful snowy morning, deer were moving everywhere, and I heard a grand total of ONE shot. No one is in the woods anymore!
                    Must be regional then. I’ve seen every place I hunt in that state grow 10x and some to the point thy aren’t huntable anymore in just the last 5-6 years. Places that have had 4-5 cars on tens of thousands of acres now there’s no parking area. You can’t go far enough in any direction to get away from anyone
                    Last edited by Low Fence; 12-08-2018, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      Must be regional then. I’ve seen every place I hunt in that state grow 10x and some to the point thy aren’t huntable anymore in just the last 5-6 years. Places that inve had 4-5 cars on tens of thousands of acres now there’s no parking atea
                      Duck hunting, I’m guessing?

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                        Duck hunting, I’m guessing?
                        Both. Started duck and it got so bad I quit the whole state. Deer is getting 2x worse by the year. This year I took a boat over a mile down a very large river, into a mega super larger river and went upstream a ways with a 225 hp out board to access a place that would take people 2.5 miles MINIMUM to access....... saw hunters. Walking around prime rim clueless. Saw a fawn running at speeds not thought possible of a North America animal.

I won’t blame people for not knowing better, they got to learn. But there’s ZERO hunter shortage. There’s a land shortage

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                          Both. Started duck and it got so bad I quit the whole state. Deer is getting 2x worse by the year. This year I took a boat over a mile down a very large river, into a mega super larger river and went upstream a ways with a 225 hp out board to access a place that would take people 2.5 miles MINIMUM to access....... saw hunters. Walking around prime rim clueless. Saw a fawn running at speeds not thought possible of a North America animal.

I won’t blame people for not knowing better, they got to learn. But there’s ZERO hunter shortage. There’s a land shortage
                          Off topic... but I’m selfishly hoping a lot of people give up the state for duck hunting. It’s affected our hunting negatively in a major way on state areas. I’m a young guy (29) but I am lucky to remember an entirely different duck hunting scene. I’ve just about given up going to the duck woods closest to my house. This year has been better (probably due to lack of birds more than anything), but our local ramp is PACKED with out of staters. TN, AL, SC, TX, GA. Hell they’ll outnumber locals 4-1. It’s caused lots of problems.

As far as the deer hunting goes, the primo public areas you’re describing have changed some too, again, largely due to out of state hunters. Check the license plates next time you go to the river... I was shocked last year when I went...

I was mainly talking about private lands and the numbers/observations don’t lie. Participation is down markedly. I am concerned about it.

Comment

All this complaint about getting youth involved for so many various reasons.

I have to call B.S.

There are so many opportunities out there. State youth draw hunts, TPWD various youth programs, organizations that do youth hunts, not to count the number of people that would take a youth to their place to hunt in a heartbeat if the interest was expressed.

I don’t think it is an opportunity or antler restriction issue, but a lack of interest from a parent/guardian/mentor. Easier to complain than work at creating opportunity for the youngster.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                              All this complaint about getting youth involved for so many various reasons.

I have to call B.S.

There are so many opportunities out there. State youth draw hunts, TPWD various youth programs, organizations that do youth hunts, not to count the number of people that would take a youth to their place to hunt in a heartbeat if the interest was expressed.

I don’t think it is an opportunity or antler restriction issue, but a lack of interest from a parent/guardian/mentor. Easier to complain than work at creating opportunity for the youngster.
                              I have no less than 20 kids NOW begging me to “take me hunting “. I don’t have the resources to do it. I’ll make the time as much as possible. But I can’t just whore a place out in the name of quenching blood thirst.

When younger everything n my area was 200ish acres and the owner and his brother in law and his son hunted it...3 o so. Now that 200 is busted into 20 acre blocks with same situation... 30.

There’s so many hunting in small bull )&@% area Texas it’s crazy and sooo many n quality Texas most can’t afford it.

Numbers are there to the point the land can’t support it on most areas

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                                We started on squirrels, rabbits and game birds. Well actually we were murderous little bastages with BB guns on sparrows before that. Hunting was in our blood long before deer hunting.

Gary
                                Same here. Even had a bird feeder I built that I could flat sniper sparrows from my back door with a Daisy Powerline 880. Neighbor kid and I would have contest to see who could kill the most and make the longest shots

Comment

Working...
                                X