No announcement yet.

Sous vide trimmed brisket point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe, just maybe, like you guys I've smoked a few briskets in my time on my Backwoods Smoker?
    Instead of the traditional ways, I figured I would try something that *appears* to deliver more consistent results at the desired timing. Biggest variable is the desired timing of being done. Second biggest variable is ensuring that I have the right combination of rendering the fat without overdoing/undercooking it. In my research I've seen brisket that you'd never know was done partially SV...even for the bark. And the Sous vide method I'm trying for the brisket turned out incredibly well for a pork butt last month. Maybe it works well, maybe it turns out like ****. Either way, I'm curious to try, so we'll see the results of this experiment soon

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
      A SV brisket would be the finishing in the oven version but instead sealed and not having the oven (or pit) problem of guessing (or having enough experience) to know when it is done. Unlike the oven or pit, SV final doneness and temperature is precise.

I get it. I hope it comes out like desired.

Not following you. Its not hard to seal a brisket in a foiled pan with a foil top. Running a digital thermo through the top and into the brisket where it needs to be, leads to no guessing on the smoker or oven and no bark destruction..

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
        Maybe, just maybe, like you guys I've smoked a few briskets in my time on my Backwoods Smoker?
        Instead of the traditional ways, I figured I would try something that *appears* to deliver more consistent results at the desired timing. Biggest variable is the desired timing of being done. Second biggest variable is ensuring that I have the right combination of rendering the fat without overdoing/undercooking it. In my research I've seen brisket that you'd never know was done partially SV...even for the bark. And the Sous vide method I'm trying for the brisket turned out incredibly well for a pork butt last month. Maybe it works well, maybe it turns out like ****. Either way, I'm curious to try, so we'll see the results of this experiment soon
        Maybe I’m just as crazy as you since being an experimenter is in my nature.
        Good luck.
        In for the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Not following you. Its not hard to seal a brisket in a foiled pan with a foil top. Running a digital thermo through the top and into the brisket where it needs to be, leads to no guessing on the smoker or oven and no bark destruction..
          I didn’t say it was hard.

Temperature is usually the goal of cooking beef. Whether you want the center rare, medium, etc.

The attraction of SV is that you can set it at your desired ending point and walk away.

It will reach your target temperature and never go higher while sealing all of the juices inside.

You are correct about the thermometer in the brisket but the very reason for the thermometer is to take it out when you reach the desired temp. In other words, it has to be monitored. The SV takes that variable out. The water temp in effect is the thermometer.

As mentioned SV will eventually turn the meat to mush. You can’t leave meat in SV indefinitely unless you want jellied meat. But... with more room for error, less monitoring and a target temperature preset, it can be an alternative method of finishing a brisket than putting it in a foil tent and keeping a closer eye on it.

I didn’t recommend it and I don’t know if it will work. I only said that I understand the idea (I get it) and curious of the results.

Comment

Let's wait on the results fellas!!

Don't have the fancy water cooker but I could see the use of starting the brisket in the water bath to get some temp in it and follow up/finish on the pit...

In for the result and pics...

Comment

Is this the Six Sigma forum?
              I follow you. Haha

Comment

I did a prime rib kind of like this and it turns out alot better then y'all think. Sous vide is a really good way to cook and produced amazing products. I mean brisket may be a bit different but I've used it for everything I can think of and produces juicy tender product from everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                  I think you're going from Ft Worth to Austin via El Paso...
                  Clever Dale!

In for pics op.

Comment

Sous vide trimmed brisket point

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                    I didn’t say it was hard.

Temperature is usually the goal of cooking beef. Whether you want the center rare, medium, etc.

The attraction of SV is that you can set it at your desired ending point and walk away.

It will reach your target temperature and never go higher while sealing all of the juices inside.

You are correct about the thermometer in the brisket but the very reason for the thermometer is to take it out when you reach the desired temp. In other words, it has to be monitored. The SV takes that variable out. The water temp in effect is the thermometer.

As mentioned SV will eventually turn the meat to mush. You can’t leave meat in SV indefinitely unless you want jellied meat. But... with more room for error, less monitoring and a target temperature preset, it can be an alternative method of finishing a brisket than putting it in a foil tent and keeping a closer eye on it.

I didn’t recommend it and I don’t know if it will work. I only said that I understand the idea (I get it) and curious of the results.

Hell my digital thermometer with wireless remote has an alarm on it I put in my pocket while I work or mow the lawn. That’s pretty **** effortless[emoji23]

Good luck OP!

Comment

what a waste of time

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Hell my digital thermometer with wireless remote has an alarm on it I put in my pocket while I work or mow the lawn. That’s pretty **** effortless[emoji23]

Good luck OP!
                        Which one you got? I hate my igrill by Webber. It's Bluetooth and once I move more than 10 yards away I lose the signal.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                          Which one you got? I hate my igrill by Webber. It's Bluetooth and once I move more than 10 yards away I lose the signal.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Maverick ET-732.....I sit in my house in my home office on the front side of the house and have no issues

Comment

A buddy at work did a sous vide brisket and it was great. Not sure how he did it but it was really good.

Comment

I understand both sides of this debate but for those who have not cooked much with a Sous Vide, please do spend time cooking with it before before ushering concrete opinion on it. There is certainly room for experimentation and I personally think that is a cool option. Whether it’s traditional or not and accepted or Poo pooed on by some, the Sous Vide can give you finished meat quality that almost no other style of cooking provides. The research in protein breakdown using Sous Vide (especially in beef) is a compelling argument for it use with a brisket. Good on you OP for thinking outside the box and keep us posted on the finished product!

Comment

Let us know the results, only thing I would be concerned about is if the guest asked " where the hell did you get this brisket " LOL, that could be good or bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X