Sous vide trimmed brisket point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide trimmed brisket point

I wanted to do a full packer (after trimming) but the brisket that arrived home from the store was a trimmed point from HEB. Will search around for timing a 6lb portion but contemplating starting tomorrow for consumption Sunday. After reading a few recipes, I think I'm going to smoke it first on a 170-200 temp for a few hours, Sous vide until desired temp, then finish back in smoker or oven to refirm the bark. Will update once the process starts.

I'm in for boiled Brisket results

Comment

I'm not following the extra work here.

To each their own....but it seems like placing something in a vacuum sealed plastic bag under water would smash/ruin all that wonderful bark and flavor we work the first hours to obtain. Why go to all that trouble when you can put it in pan, cover with foil and put it in the oven after the smoking part is done if you don't want to finish on a smoker. The top layer of bark and the sides are untouched ...and spread evenly

Comment

I saw a trimmed 4 pound point at HEB just yesterday and had the thought of doing it SV. But that's only because I don't have access to a smoker at the apt. I don't follow your reasoning.

Comment

I think you're going from Ft Worth to Austin via El Paso...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            I think you're going from Ft Worth to Austin via El Paso...

That is a great analogy...LMAO!

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
              I wanted to do a full packer (after trimming) but the brisket that arrived home from the store was a trimmed point from HEB. Will search around for timing a 6lb portion but contemplating starting tomorrow for consumption Sunday. After reading a few recipes, I think I'm going to smoke it first on a 170-200 temp for a few hours, Sous vide until desired temp, then finish back in smoker or oven to refirm the bark. Will update once the process starts.
              I don’t know what the results will be but I get it.

The trick to a great brisket (which I can’t do and rarely experience) is for it to be smoked yet tender and juicy. The problem is cooking too fast or too long making it dry and tough. A perfectly cooked brisket might arguably be the best piece of meat out there however a crappy dried out brisket might as well be chopped up, covered with barbecue sauce and put on a bun as a sandwich.

A good brisket is done correctly by people putting in many hours of tending the pit and knowing what you are doing or (Heaven forbid) smoking it a couple of hours and finishing in the oven. A SV brisket would be the finishing in the oven version but instead sealed and not having the oven (or pit) problem of guessing (or having enough experience) to know when it is done. Unlike the oven or pit, SV final doneness and temperature is precise.

I get it. I hope it comes out like desired.

Comment

Is this the Six Sigma forum?

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                  SV final doneness and temperature is precise.

I get it. I hope it comes out like desired.
                  In my experience, any piece of meat left too long in a SV bath becomes mealy.

I also hope it works out for OP, but I tend to side with Smart in his assessment that the SV bath will ruin any bark achieved in the initial smoke.

Personally, if I were looking to SV a brisket point, Texas BBQ brisket wouldn't be my goal. Think pearl onions, carrots, celery, S&P, fresh herbs... a traditional Jewish style. Yum.

Comment

I'd sous vide a brisket for corned beef, but not a smoked brisket. Smoke it for 6 hours and then finish it in the oven if you don't want to deal with tending the pit. I wouldn't go below 200F either.

Comment

I'm in agreement that you would miss out on some bark. Definitely curious to see how it turns out.

Comment

Why don't you just use the Insta-pot?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                          Why don't you just use the Insta-pot?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
                          Maybe it's because I don't want to use the Insta-pot?

Comment

Originally posted by DimmitCo View Post
                            Maybe it's because I don't want to use the Insta-pot?
                            There ya have it

Comment

I guess I don't understand what you are trying to gain by using the SV in the middle of the process...retaining more moisture?

My gut tells me whatever benefit you get from it won't be worth the trouble on a piece that small, but I'm curious to see how it turns out. On a piece that small, I would want all the smoke time available to build that bark.

Comment

Working...
                              X