Ever had your bell rung?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever had your bell rung?

One week ago today a rifle was fired right next to my head. My hunting partner shot without warning at a deer, the barrel of his rifle could not have been more than a foot from my right ear. Today is day 7 of constant ringing in my right ear. It's driving me crazy. It's starting to affect my sleep.

All comments on how absolutely stupid and dangerous this incident was aside, does anyone have experience with this? Is there anything I can do to help it? Would an ear, nose, and throat doctor be of any use?

I can hear out of my ear. I have had no dizziness as of yet. Just a constant, non stop ringing.

Yes, many times. At SLAYER shows. Ears ring for days.

Comment

Had it happen to me before. I was at a rifle range seated under the tin and a guy walked up, without warning firing a Mosin Nagant less than 5’ away from me while the range was suppose to be dead. Mine rang for a few days then slowly went away. Probably should have went and saw a doctor, but I was hard headed. I’d go check it out to make sure there’s no permanent damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It happened to me about a week ago on a duck hunt, but the ringing only lasted a few hours. Not fun.

Comment

I have it bad. It is called tinnitus. Hopefully yours is just temporary. Don't think there is much a doctor could do, but I'm not a doctor.

Comment

Happened to me at a Nugent show at Billy Bobs. I was one worried dude, finally 1 week later it went away.

Sure hope yours does as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
              I have it bad. It is called tinnitus. Hopefully yours is just temporary. Don't think there is much a doctor could do, but I'm not a doctor.
              My father n law had same issue for years. He just got hearing aids and he said it took away 90 percent of the rings.

Comment

After 7 days, I'm wondering if this might be what I have. Does it go away over time? How do you deal with it?

Comment

Shooting a right handed AR left handed will do it. My right ear had a constant ring for two weeks after that. All you can do is stick it out and hope it goes away. I know my hearing has gone way down since.

Comment

I spent an entire afternoon shooting my buddy's .357 revolver without hearing protection when I was in high school and my ears rang for a few days.

This isn't going to make you feel better, but I tested out as an average 65-yr-old in a hearing test. When I was 29.

I also used to dove hunt with no hearing protection. I regret it now.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                      Shooting a right handed AR left handed will do it. My right ear had a constant ring for two weeks after that. All you can do is stick it out and hope it goes away. I know my hearing has gone way down since.

I know it seems dramatic, but I'd take significant hearing loss over constant ringing any day. I'm really hoping this is temporary. Everything I have read says about a week to two weeks unless it was severely damaged.

I'm just very scared that the ringing will never stop.

Comment

Mine was at a bachelor party down at the river. We were shooting guns down into the river and killing sticks and stuff with 22s. A buddy broke out a 357 and popped off a round right by my left ear. It has been ringing now for 35 plus years. Never stops. You get used to it.

Comment

My ears have not stopped ringing since I shot a 44 mag snub-nose multiple times without ear protection when I was a teenager. It has gotten much less over time, but they still ring. That was 30+ years ago. Never saw a doc about it. Probably should have.

Comment

This is me as well

Comment

I've had tinnitus since my early 20's but it wasn't from a one time noise. Too much loud rock and roll, Harley's and guns. Mine never goes away. I don't always notice it but it's always there.

Comment

Working...
                              X