Chaparral 2018 thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kelsoe21 View Post
    I drew the 2nd week of December, first time hunting out of east Texas, do y’all have better luck with ground blinds or short tripod stands all I use here are box and climbing stands.
    Both will work but brush in well. Just brush blinds work really well also. 8’ and under tripod is best

Comment

I saw someone saying on a different chaparral thread that they had blinds brushed in and the deer were not liking it very much still, you haven’t ran into this problem?

Comment

Yeah the problem
        I think is that the deer still see the dark areas for the windows. I’m going to definitely either cut shooting lanes in a bush or set up a tripod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve never really had a problem but I completely brush in my blind if I use a pop up, and I mean completely. Most of the time we just dig pit blinds, use brush blinds or short tripods. If weather is bad I will brush in a pop up especially if I plan an all day sit so I can move around freely during the day.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kelsoe21 View Post
              I saw someone saying on a different chaparral thread that they had blinds brushed in and the deer were not liking it very much still, you haven’t ran into this problem?
              That could be a problem with so many hunts going on. Not too much different from a bow only day lease. Lots of activity.

You need to plan your entrance and exit routes to minimize impact.

You need to think 3 deminsionally when brushing in a ground blind. The brush is very thin in December with the misquites having little to no leaves. You need something in front of your blind by a few feet, brush all around your blind not just the front and often overlooked, cover behind your blind. With nothing behind you it's very easy to create a blob like sihollete. Then open one small window just big enough to shoot from.

It's hard to find on the chap but ideally under the canopy of an oak I'd hard to beat.

No matter what you do their spidey sense may have them on full alert but they tend to calm down within a day or two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I have been drawn for the Dec 11th - 14th . Never been on a hunt like this before so I am super stoked. So many questions.

Is there a thread from past or a list of how the archery hunts are conducted.
                I see there is camping so I should be good there.
                How do you guys know what number you draw?
                Are you allowed to survey your area then set up or specified areas to set up?
                Always hunted from a blind over a feeder on a lease.
                Some many questions.....argggg.... but so excited...

Comment

Originally posted by Physhstyx View Post
                  Well I have been drawn for the Dec 11th - 14th . Never been on a hunt like this before so I am super stoked. So many questions.

Is there a thread from past or a list of how the archery hunts are conducted.
                  I see there is camping so I should be good there.
                  How do you guys know what number you draw?
                  Are you allowed to survey your area then set up or specified areas to set up?
                  Always hunted from a blind over a feeder on a lease.
                  Some many questions.....argggg.... but so excited...
                  And he did it with 2 preference points.

Comment

I have drawn some hunts the last few years, including the Chap. Your permit number no longer has anything to do with the order you actually got drawn. As others have stated, the last two digits are random. Not exactly sure how they know the order after the draw, but it's not by the permit number.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                      I have drawn some hunts the last few years, including the Chap. Your permit number no longer has anything to do with the order you actually got drawn. As others have stated, the last two digits are random. Not exactly sure how they know the order after the draw, but it's not by the permit number.
                      Every time I have been to the chap it has been drawn based on the last two numbers on your permit and this is my 5th trip. Unless something changed the last couple yrs with new manager. Of course there is a new manager agin this yr so we may be in for a new set of rules.

Comment

Dead grass and broom weeds is your best friend in that country on filling in brush and giving depth. There is a chance that in early December a lot of stuff will still be green that far south.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                          And he did it with 2 preference points.

Salty haha don’t hate man it is what it is

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
                            Salty haha don’t hate man it is what it is

Not hatin, he's a friend and I'm happy for him. I would have put in for it with him but we're working opposite rotations during that week.

It's just the luck of the draw.

I'll be there the week before for a standby.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                              Every time I have been to the chap it has been drawn based on the last two numbers on your permit and this is my 5th trip. Unless something changed the last couple yrs with new manager. Of course there is a new manager agin this yr so we may be in for a new set of rules.

it is based on the order you draw and they do go by permit number at most places. However, no way for you to know what the starting permit number was without asking the staff. For example, two of us were drawn on a hunt last year that only had two spots in the draw. My permit number was something along the lines of 160156 and the other permit was 160157. I do remember with the old system where the last two digits were the actual useful draw order.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                                Not hatin, he's a friend and I'm happy for him. I would have put in for it with him but we're working opposite rotations during that week.

It's just the luck of the draw.

I'll be there the week before for a standby.
                                Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X