Chaparral 2018 thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 125Dad View Post
    I'm probably wrong about this but I took the 19% was your chance to get drawn.
    No, hunting success rate.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
      Why is this such a good draw? The success rate was 19% last year. What am I missing?
      To keep it short and simple, it’s the quality not quantity

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
        Gotcha

Comment

Heck I’m with mikyb now.

Thanks for getting us straightened out KK.

Comment

It’s a fun hunt but you never know what might walk out. It’s one of the few hunts where you could shoot the deer of a lifetime. There is plenty of shot opportunities but most are there to shoot a big deer not just any deer. I’ve been on hunts where not a single deer was killed, and I’ve also been on hunts where true trophies were killed. A lot depends on the weather and how green the pasture is. Best we can hope for is an early cold front and we get some pre rut activity.

Comment

Congrats! Great WMA probably the best in Texas

Comment

You know, I've been on other draw hunts and some of the bucks I've seen and some that have been actually taken off these places would put Chap to shame!!!
                Not knocking the Chap, but there are other places that hold REALLY GOOD deer.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  You know, I've been on other draw hunts and some of the bucks I've seen and some that have been actually taken off these places would put Chap to shame!!!
                  Not knocking the Chap, but there are other places that hold REALLY GOOD deer.
                  Don't know about to shame but I'm sure there are some good deer seen at several other WMA. I bet if you look at the leader board for gross score across the board the chap is tops every yr in TX wma. Now the Hag may have something to say starting I guess next yr.

Comment

I drew dec 4-7 on the chap
                    How do you how far back you are in picking pastures? I’ve camped there on a youth hunt for my little brother it was awesome he shot a 120” 8 pointer first buck ever. Looking forward on meeting some of y’all out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Might be a little early but haven’t been able to do this thread in about 6-7 yrs. we got the Dec 4-7 archery hunt.

This will be my 5th time there. Have had several close encounters but haven’t released an arrow yet. Sucks that this yr the hunt is only a “4” day hunt but we can bait and if the weather cooperates we could see some pre rut activity.
                      Looks like we will be at the back of the line for picking the pasture but glad to be back.

Any input or helpful tips on things that have changed with the new manager and the oil field.

Also any pics and if you care to share what pasture you killed it in.
                      Been to chaparral once for a youth javelina hunt about 12 years ago. This was the only hunt I have ever been drawn for. Put in for the same hunts every year and nothing. Haha is there anything I’m missing as to how to get drawn? Is there a special way to apply?

Joking aside chap has some really awesome bucks that have come off of there, I wish you and everyone else’s group on here best of luck at getting a chance at one of those monsters.

Comment

My daughter one last year. Hunted in January. We placed double bulls on the senderos. The deer didn't like them one bit. We had them covered in brush. look for low spots in the senderos. That is were the majority of the bucks were coming from. Place your blind or small tripods 5 yards into the woods. Corn the roads and let them walk past you. After we moved our blinds into the woods it worked as she got a 130" 8 point. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          Been to chaparral once for a youth javelina hunt about 12 years ago. This was the only hunt I have ever been drawn for. Put in for the same hunts every year and nothing. Haha is there anything I’m missing as to how to get drawn? Is there a special way to apply?

Joking aside chap has some really awesome bucks that have come off of there, I wish you and everyone else’s group on here best of luck at getting a chance at one of those monsters.
                          Man just blind stupid luck...Ive known other guys like you that have been putting in for yrs and nothing. Ive known others that are like me and have been to the chap several times. Not sure what it is.

Comment

New moon December 7!

Comment

Ill be there for the second hunt with my pops! Also want to know how you get to choose pastures? I thought it was the first arriving on the days of the hunts choose?

Comment

The sequence of the draw is the last two digits on your permit number. If you have ***x01 your first of its ***xx16 like my chap permit we will be the 16th group to pick. It’s basically the order the computer selected you for that date. That’s the order they will use at the check in to draw your pastures.

Comment

Working...
                                X