No announcement yet.

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The droptine deer ain't very old 3.5 maybe 4 one more year and he be a giant. But being a lbj deer he won't make it to rifle season.lol

Comment

Pulled a card last weekend no big bucks but looks like I’m going turkey hunting for the first time next spring [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180814/47342b364835167432ae332d0e435d9f.png[/IMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Got to scout some units last week over 3 days worth of walking. Getting pumped about the season and some of my findings. Hope I can get out one more time now that it's rained this next week, but we will see.

Comment

Headed up tomorrow to pull cameras out and check out a couple extra locations. Anybody else going to be out? Supposed to be hot!

Comment

I'm heading out earlier in the am. Checking cameras and looking for a good trees.

Comment

Just an update from the forest service for this season. The Orange trail this year will not be closed to horseback riders for the first 2 weeks of the general season like in the past. It is suggested that riders wear orange but not required.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBowtech View Post
                  The droptine deer ain't very old 3.5 maybe 4 one more year and he be a giant. But being a lbj deer he won't make it to rifle season.lol

I’d shoot him in a heartbeat. 3.5yr old on unrestricted public land is plenty old.

I was worried about doe and fawn health from how dry June and July were, but it looks like they are all holding pretty good weight as far as I can tell from my camera pulls. I am off the Grasslands until I sit for a hunt. I know lots of guys are just starting to do their scouting for season, so no sense to add my presence to the pressure.
                  Man, it sure is hard to force myself to stay out of the woods until season opens!

Comment

My gosh man! That is a monster doe! And fawn! I've never had to look upward toward one! That thing could pummel a man to death!

Comment

We got out for a few hours out this morning. Was there before daybreak. Did some glassing right at sunrise and some scouting after that. Found some good sign. Plenty of tracks, Scat and a old scrape where 3 trails come together. One thing I do like about the dry summer, the grass and underbrush is pretty short for ground hunting.

Comment

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                        I’d shoot him in a heartbeat. 3.5yr old on unrestricted public land is plenty old.

I was worried about doe and fawn health from how dry June and July were, but it looks like they are all holding pretty good weight as far as I can tell from my camera pulls. I am off the Grasslands until I sit for a hunt. I know lots of guys are just starting to do their scouting for season, so no sense to add my presence to the pressure.
                        Man, it sure is hard to force myself to stay out of the woods until season opens!

@TexasGrown

Haha, that camera is set about 4 inches from the ground.
                        The brush in that area is so small that I couldn’t find a tree that didn’t sway in the wind and burn my battery in a week. This was my solution.
                        It actually turned out really great as far as the pictures I’ve gotten. I knocked out some dead limbs that were in the way, and it left a single lonely limb just out of frame above the picture. It wasn’t 2 days until they started using it as a licking branch. It’s like they are posing!

Comment

I did a little scouting this am and pulled cards. I found 2 new spots that I'm hoping work well. One place has 2-3 trails and blocks of timber that come together at an intersection. Another spot is actually pretty close to the gate. Looks like a trail coming from private over into public. As I was walking to it up the ridge, I bumped a doe and 2 fawns that were bedded. I hung a camera in that area, so we'll see what happens. This water hole continues to keep deer coming in. Just need to see if anything changes between now and Oct. Haven't ever hunted water before.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here's a few of the double drop tine buck and the rest of his bachelor group.
                            Attached Files

Comment

These bucks are pretty cool. I like the tall one with the crab claw and kicker off his G2.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Bonus pics.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X