2018 LBJ Grasslands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 LBJ Grasslands

Well guys, I think it’s time to retire the 2017 thread and start anew.

Bucks are well into velvet, fawns are gettin big, and we are all starting to look towards season opener.

Personally, I’m hoping this guy made it another year because I won’t pass him again with a year’s growth on him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or this guy...

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
      Or this guy...

I doubt you would've passed him!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll likely be taking my son and daughter on their first hunts. Already did some preliminary scouting. Daughter will be bow hunting, son will be muzzleloader. It's either here or Whitney. I'm likely to reserve Whitney for the ducks. To be honest, I'm a little excited. I gave up hunting Texas whitetails after I hunted out west. The combination of the kids and public land have me intrigued again.

Comment

Glad to see this thread. I've never hunted at the Grasslands but have been camping and hiking out there several times with my family over the last 4 or 5 years.
          But I'm meeting a buddy out there on Saturday to do a little pig hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            I'll likely be taking my son and daughter on their first hunts. Already did some preliminary scouting. Daughter will be bow hunting, son will be muzzleloader. It's either here or Whitney. I'm likely to reserve Whitney for the ducks. To be honest, I'm a little excited. I gave up hunting Texas whitetails after I hunted out west. The combination of the kids and public land have me intrigued again.

Don’t get too discouraged your first year. Public land deer are a different breed. It takes a few years to figure out a property.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
              Don’t get too discouraged your first year. Public land deer are a different breed. It takes a few years to figure out a property.

That's what I'm excited about. I got tired of filling the feeder and waiting. This is more challenging.

Comment

I’ll will be up there as well. Missed my one from last year. Shot right over his back. Will be after them again this year.

Comment

Looking forward to getting back into some deer hunting this season. Been chasing the ducks for the past few years. Need to get some trail cameras out soon.

Comment

I’ve gotten to where I put cameras out in-season only nowadays. If I could check more often, I would use them for inventory. But, instead, I use them the year later for historical movement info. I really like the January pictures because most guys abandon the woods, and food sources haven’t changed over so it’s a good indicator of winter ranges.

Comment

I mainly want to get some out now to get an idea of whats out there. I haven't hunted out there in several years. Figured I would start by checkout some of my old stand spots and then start scouting out other places from there. Might go back up to Caddo this year as well since I have a new rifle to use.

Comment

Hello everyone,
                        This is my first post. I thought I would introduce myself before I started asking questions.
                        I have read a lot on here soaking in information and want to thank y'all for that. This year my twin boys go to kindergarten so I will finally have time to do some hunting. I have never been out to LBJ, but since my last time on public land (limited time on it) we have moved and it is now the closest public land to my home. I am excited to get out there scouting and hunting again. I will be honest and say I have a lot to learn about hunting public land, but I enjoy learning and a challenge. My expectations are low being my first year and I just look forward to the chances I will be able to get out there.

BradyH

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                          I mainly want to get some out now to get an idea of whats out there. I haven't hunted out there in several years. Figured I would start by checkout some of my old stand spots and then start scouting out other places from there. Might go back up to Caddo this year as well since I have a new rifle to use.

I got one at Caddo too that I will be after. He made me look like an amateur last year. Left me with my chin on the ground. If I would have been still for 20 seconds longer he would be on my wall already.

Comment

Going to get a few new cameras probably in the next few weeks. What do yall recommend that hurt the wallet to much just in case of theft but still works well enough to get the job done. They done have to take the best pics in the world. Just need something that with be clear enough to see what we got.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                              Going to get a few new cameras probably in the next few weeks. What do yall recommend that hurt the wallet to much just in case of theft but still works well enough to get the job done. They done have to take the best pics in the world. Just need something that with be clear enough to see what we got.

My go to is the browning Dark Ops. Great pics, black flash, and last year’s model Cam typically be found for $120ish.

I set my cams high (above 10 feet, so I carry a climbing stick) and haven’t had one even noticed yet. At least, I haven’t gotten a single person on video or in picture look up at them.

Comment

Working...
                              X