No announcement yet.

Terrell County Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still my favorite place. I’ll be out there. Arrowed a mule deer last year. First year I’m gonna get protein out there.

Comment

Filled feeders this past weekend.... Let’s get this season started!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone been out West lately to feeder-fill or check cameras?

Comment

I'm going to try and go out west the weekend of the 20th. I'd like to take the rest of my corn allotment out and in the feeders before the temperature is 115 degrees! However, my GF's niece is having her quinceanera in Abilene the same weekend. I left it up to her to make the decision on where to go. The good thing is she hates it when I go to the lease without her.

Plus, I got a new rifle I wanna air out on some sheep and pigs.

Comment

Been all over Terrell County the last 6 days! Drive about 350 miles a day! Saw lots of deer north on 2400 and 2886. A couple of nice bull elk every night on 2400. On 384 north of Dryden saw tons of deer from about 5 miles north all the way to the county line. It is very dry and the deer are coming to the road ditches.
            Couple questions for you guys that hunt out there?
            1. How much land do you need to keep deer from getting slaughtered by your neighbors. (Appears to be a stand every 300-400 yards in some areas?
            2. For you guys in paint mare? Do you see any bucks over 1.5yrs old? There must be a stand to every 50 acres.
            Last if a guy is looking to buy a place on the area to see some decent Mule deer bucks, what is the best area.

Comment

I was out there this past weekend as well. Filled feeders and went looking for some sheep and pigs that need eliminating. The country is dry as a bone. I saw that it was listed in the Exceptional Drought category on the morning weather report. Watched several does eating cactus so at least they are getting some fluids.

Comment

We were going to head West tomorrow after work, but due to the forecast, we are going to wait a week. Looks like Terrell Co may get wet over the next few days. No need to take any chances....

Comment

Originally posted by Black Gold View Post
                  We were going to head West tomorrow after work, but due to the forecast, we are going to wait a week. Looks like Terrell Co may get wet over the next few days. No need to take any chances....

I wouldn't take the chance either. Besides, it hails out there pretty regularly. The country could use the rain though for sure. It's very dry. especially for this time of year. The spring/summer rains for the last two years didn't happen this year.

Comment

We are gonna head West Wednesday night to fill feeders and pull camera cards.

Comment

Good deal. Let us know how the rains made the country look. Also, watch for the snakes. They were out when I was there 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                        Good deal. Let us know how the rains made the country look. Also, watch for the snakes. They were out when I was there 3 weeks ago.
                        not sure about Terrel county but val verde is bone dry.. we need rain bad and lots of it..

good luck out there and be safe... traffic is picking up out there and i m not talking about mulies or white tails... hope your camps have not been messed with

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          not sure about Terrel county but val verde is bone dry.. we need rain bad and lots of it..

good luck out there and be safe... traffic is picking up out there and i m not talking about mulies or white tails... hope your camps have not been messed with

We hunt western Val Verde/eastern Terrell County. I watched the radar like a hawk last week and I think our lease got some rain, just not sure how much.

Speaking of "on the move" we had 4 show up at our camp last November, all wearing the same back packs with maps, etc. they were walking in the creek bottom and got spotted by one of our younger hunters. After a short "Mexican standoff" they finally walked away, but they had to be convinced at gun point to leave. The Terrell County SO and Border Patrol came out, but it takes them 2.5 hours to get to us so those "mules" were long gone.

I was out there three weeks ago and had one on game camera fro back in March. Walking up to the feeder carrying a blue sleeping bag he walked right past the camera and never knew I got his picture.

Comment

We hunt western Val Verde/eastern Terrell County. I watched the radar like a hawk last week and I think our lease got some rain, just not sure how much.

Speaking of "on the move" we had 4 show up at our camp last November, all wearing the same back packs with maps, etc. they were walking in the creek bottom and got spotted by one of our younger hunters. After a short "Mexican standoff" they finally walked away, but they had to be convinced at gun point to leave. The Terrell County SO and Border Patrol came out, but it takes them 2.5 hours to get to us so those "mules" were long gone.

I was out there three weeks ago and had one on game camera fro back in March. Walking up to the feeder carrying a blue sleeping bag he walked right past the camera and never knew I got his picture.
                            Are you out in the Herritage Cnyon area?? Best of luck out there... PM coming your way

Comment

BTW,

Be sure and give us a review of those coon deterrents you had made as well!

Comment

BTW,

Be sure and give us a review of those coon deterrents you had made as well!

Will do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X