Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2018 San Angelo surrounding area season thread.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Id like to hear from anyone that hunts around the Barnhart area if that's not to far. It was my first yr on the lease and seeing trophy deer on camera much less shooting them was pretty slim. If anyone hunts close Id sure like to hear if your year was any better.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
      Well....bye

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      High rollin' traitor!
      Tough crowd

Comment

Wow. Blows my mind yall have deer shedding already.

I hunt South of Ozona, which isn't exactly San Angelo area, but still not all that far, and we usually don't shed until March.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
          Tough crowd

Comment

Originally posted by txbowhunter60 View Post
            Id like to hear from anyone that hunts around the Barnhart area if that's not to far. It was my first yr on the lease and seeing trophy deer on camera much less shooting them was pretty slim. If anyone hunts close Id sure like to hear if your year was any better.
            Im probably 20-25 miles north of Barnhart but a lot different country.

That area was hit really hard with the drought. Really will be the next year or really two before we get age classes back in line.

Have you been on your place long? Any management rules in place prior years?

Comment

It was my first yr but it has been ran by the same group for the last 10. They've always done 8pts or less as culls and 9pts or more trophy and at least 4.5yrs ald for both. I think they are going to change that next season hopefully it will help. I was just concerned when the biggest buck taken this yr was a 128in 10pt off 12k acres.

Comment

Originally posted by txbowhunter60 View Post
                It was my first yr but it has been ran by the same group for the last 10. They've always done 8pts or less as culls and 9pts or more trophy and at least 4.5yrs ald for both. I think they are going to change that next season hopefully it will help. I was just concerned when the biggest buck taken this yr was a 128in 10pt off 12k acres.
                I think shooting them at 4.5 you will be doing good to shoot 130" deer. Really need to get trophies to 5.5 or better 6.5 in the area. We went to 6.5 and the top end has really improved. Coming out of the drought it has been slim the past couple of years finding a 6.5 to shoot but that's part of the process you have to be disciplined if that's the type of deer you want to shoot. I haven't shot a trophy in 3 years but the last one I did shoot was over 170".

Comment

Thanks for the info hopefully we can get the management plan headed in the right direction soon.

Comment

Good luck with your management plan.....

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                      I think shooting them at 4.5 you will be doing good to shoot 130" deer. Really need to get trophies to 5.5 or better 6.5 in the area. We went to 6.5 and the top end has really improved for the neighbors. Coming out of the drought it has been slim the past couple of years finding a 6.5 to shoot but that's part of the process you have to be disciplined if that's the type of deer you want to shoot. I haven't shot a trophy in 3 years but the last one I did shoot was over 170".
                      FIFY

Just noticed we were already two pages deep and I hadn't added my .02 yet

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                        FIFY
                        lmao!

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                          Not sure if I’ll get many updates here this next year. Just took a spot in Mexico today
                          I enjoy seeing all those big Mexico bucks. Post up on here, as well...I don’t mind.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                            FIFY

Just noticed we were already two pages deep and I hadn't added my .02 yet
                            I aim to please everyone including the neighbors!

Comment

Fire NE of Eldorado headed north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The arrow is on Toenail Trail at the TG Schleicher County line. If the map is accurate we should be Ok.

Last edited by Smart; 01-24-2018, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X