Testosterone Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
    Do you just go to your regular dr to get levels tested?
    Yes, ask for it via your primary care doc, and don't let him talk you out of it. My PCP was belly aching about it, I bluntly told him I want to know my test levels........and I was way low. He was pretty apologetic to me afterwards. And have your Vitamin D levels checked with it. Vit D helps with Test production.

Also, if you are low but by trying to maintain fertility or have plans to try and have a child do not do any TRT! There are other drugs you can take like clomid (as in my case). TRT can make you infertile while you are undergoing treatment, and can take 6-8months for your swimmer count to return to preTRT levels. (Happend to my brother, PCP didn't take that into account and it took awhile for them to conceive).
    Last edited by .270; 08-11-2017, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
      Yes, ask for it via your primary care doc, and don't let him talk you out of it. My PCP was belly aching about it, I bluntly told him I want to know my test levels........and I was way low. He was pretty apologetic to me afterwards. And have your Vitamin D levels checked with it. Vit D helps with Test production.
      Thanks, so once your tested and if you do come back low I'm guessing you are referred to another dr for treatment? Or does primary care take care of all of it? I've been wanting to get checked out for a while now, just never really knew how it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
        Thanks, so once your tested and if you do come back low I'm guessing you are referred to another dr for treatment? Or does primary care take care of all of it? I've been wanting to get checked out for a while now, just never really knew how it worked.
        I go to a Urologist that specializes in TRT. I get a more up to date and better quality of care than though a PCP. My PCP wanted to start injections, but that is last thing I need right now. He would have messed me up for a while. (Like my brother)

Comment

Kinda funny that this was the first thread I saw this morning. I'm going today for a follow up to last weeks blood test and my testosterone level was the first thing the nurse mentioned when she called the other day. Guess I'll see what it's all about.......

Comment

Testosterone Therapy

Originally posted by AgBass01 View Post
            I do the pellets, testopel, have a minor procedure done once every 3-4 months.

Testopel here too. I'm 44.

I love it. Makes me feel alive again and not a non energetic narcoleptic. Plus, it kicks in the sex drive like a mofo for me. I can throw double headers again. I don't have any side effects.

It does take a bit to find the right dosage so be patient if don't feel like superman immediately.

Insurance can be a pain in the butt about it. Ironically testopel is the one drug mine covers. I usually have to fight tooth and nail for everything. Oh and like someone said, I'd go to a urologist before my PCP. My urologist has me on a set schedule of blood work afterwards. Plus most insurances won't authorize it until you get below 300 again.
            Last edited by GTRH8R; 08-11-2017, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Mine was 325. 51 and Dr didn't offer to put me on it.

Comment

I got mine checked at age 70 annual physical and was at 730. My Dr. said I had nothing to worry about and did not need any treatment.

Comment

I'm 58 and my level was at 526 which is in the lower third of the acceptable range according to my PCP. He said I was good and didn't need anything. I may see about a referral to a urologist.

Comment

Testosterone Therapy

I had my T checked a few weeks ago. I'll be 40 in November. My level was 230. Got 12 200 mg pellets implanted. Go back in a month to check level again. Dr. said my level should be around 1000.

Let me tell you what, it took a week to take effect, but I feel like a new man...and my wife has rosy cheeks. [emoji23]

I've been dragging a lot lately...hard to get up in the mornings, low energy, decreased sex drive, etc. I contributed that to wearing myself out pig hunting and staying up too late with my family during the summer and then having to go to work the next day. Nope. My T was way low.

Who wants to fight? [emoji12]

Skinny

Comment

Playing devils advocate: If it kills your swimmers, you need to get blood tested, and you breakout like a 13 year old, you have to at least consider that this is not great for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
                        Playing devils advocate: If it kills your swimmers, you need to get blood tested, and you breakout like a 13 year old, you have to at least consider that this is not great for you?

A question they ask you is if you are done having children. We are, so no issue there.

Everyone is different in the "breakout like a 13 year old" deal. I haven't.

Skinny

Comment

so..if your T is 'too low'... you are supplementing ...
                          but if you stop supplementing... you crash back to what you were before...
                          What causes/caused the low T in the first place?

Comment

Yeah I had it done once. I had the pellet form. I was overseas when I got hit by an IED that caused TBI and it threw all of my hormones off so I went to several doctors and we started with testosterone therapy. Worked great brought me up to 992 score and I sleep regular again

Comment

Been doing it for a couple of years now. Once I hit 55 it was like I hit a wall. Take weekly injection( my wife is more than happy to do it for me) and have no ill effects from it. The key is to take as little as possible to get you back where you need to be. A lot of guys go by the "more is better" method. That's when you get the bad side effects. Also, testosterone therapy will have a tendency to raise your blood cell count so it's' important to give blood ( I do it every 8 weeks). Also, if you're working out hard this will raise your natural test numbers. The key to it is to keep a close eye on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                                I'm 58 and my level was at 526 which is in the lower third of the acceptable range according to my PCP. He said I was good and didn't need anything. I may see about a referral to a urologist.
                                526 is not too bad ( mine was 130 when I had it checked). A lot of doctors, once you're in the acceptable range leave it at that. Last time I had mine checked they were 1198 and life is good. I'd see about the referral. I know a lot of GP's that just don't like test therapy. ( These are the same doctors who will put your wife on hormones in a heart beat.)

Comment

Working...
                                X