Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coach W View Post

Here's what I use with mine. Just print two large rectangles per paper. Aim for the corners.
    Awesome idea. I'll have to try that. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
      Could you also use those reflector stickers? With the IR on the reflector would light up real bright and give you something good to aim at.
      I'm not real sure.. i haven't messed with the IR during the day time.

I will tell you this my costa blue mirror 580G shades won't allow me to see through the scope in the daylight. It appears off.. take the shades off and boom it's on. Made for a few confused moments the first time I took it to the range.

I tried to color fill this target ^^^ at the range. It didn't work. I could only see the ink printed black.. in fact i was aiming at the corner of the black square and hit just to the right of it (10-15 mph crosswind so i left it there)... the sharpie didn't show up at all.

I don't know how any of this stuff works. But those are my observations while using it.. ymmv.
      Last edited by Coach W; 01-02-2015, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
        Awesome idea. I'll have to try that. Thank you.
        Yes sir. No problem.

This is from the first sight in.. i started on the left, shot for impact and worked my way right as I adjusted. Just easier when you're trying to keep up with all the rectangles on the target and impacts. Just a helpful hint.

Comment

Originally posted by Coacheddy View Post
          I'll throw my two cents in. I have the Photon and a set on Gen 3 NV goggles. Big difference. I use the goggles to identify...then use the Photon only when ready to be on a target.

I just bought the X-sight from Jason last week. Was up tonight messing with it here at the house. First impression is it's good. Going to put the Photon and X-sight side by side soon.

I'm really interested in your thoughts on the Photon/X-Sight/GenIII comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
            I'm really interested in your thoughts on the Photon/X-Sight/GenIII comparison.
            I am as well. We use pretty much the same set up as you, gen III monocular for spotting and walking around and then I shoot with my photon XT. We also use thermal though for spotting on dark nights.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach W View Post
              Yes sir. No problem.

This is from the first sight in.. i started on the left, shot for impact and worked my way right as I adjusted. Just easier when you're trying to keep up with all the rectangles on the target and impacts. Just a helpful hint.
              I learned that when sighting in you aim for the bullseye or whatever your target is. Then adjust your reticle to your impact. For example if you shoot 3" left and 2" low then move your reticle 3" left and 2" low, so therefore you would be shooting 3" right and 2" higher than your first shot.
              This is for a digital reticle I'm not sure if it would work the same for a traditional crosshair style reticle.

Comment

I learned that when sighting in you aim for the bullseye or whatever your target is. Then adjust your reticle to your impact. For example if you shoot 3" left and 2" low then move your reticle 3" left and 2" low, so therefore you would be shooting 3" right and 2" higher than your first shot.

This is for a digital reticle I'm not sure if it would work the same for a traditional crosshair style reticle.

It's the same for regular scopes. To avoid driving yourself crazy, shoot 3 shot groups, then move the reticle to the center of the group.

Comment

Yeah I like that way too. That's how I do it. Haha just gotta be careful not to bump or move the rifle at all. I've definitely done that several times and had to shoot another group to see where I'm at.

Comment

best if you have a good shooting vise to sight in from, the above will work on reg scope as well

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420264853.046689.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	24355399

DPMS LR G2 .308
                      Photon XT 4.6
                      SiCo Saker 7.62
                      Barnes 150gr TTSX

I'm loving this rig right here!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post

DPMS LR G2 .308
                        Photon XT 4.6
                        SiCo Saker 7.62
                        Barnes 150gr TTSX

I'm loving this rig right here!
                        Nice job. Start the 2015 Hog Kill thread!

Comment

Done!

Comment

Originally posted by Coacheddy View Post
                            I'll throw my two cents in. I have the Photon and a set on Gen 3 NV goggles. Big difference. I use the goggles to identify...then use the Photon only when ready to be on a target.

I just bought the X-sight from Jason last week. Was up tonight messing with it here at the house. First impression is it's good. Going to put the Photon and X-sight side by side soon.
                            Very interested in your side by side comparison.

Comment

Took my photon out for the first time last night. No hogs showed up but was really happy with the quality of the photon. Never had to turn up the IR past first setting. Really good clarity and picture. Can't wait to get some hogs with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Iehooligan11b View Post
                                ... but was really happy with the quality of the photon. Never had to turn up the IR past first setting.
                                I sighted mine in on a full moon night (like last night) and didn't need any IR.
                                These things are sweet! However, I've yet to get mine bloody.

Comment

Working...
                                X