No announcement yet.

Up land bird hunting and dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good looking dog. I've always wanted one.

Comment

Mine will hunt just about anything that moves, and will let his feelings be know when you miss. From a blank stare to a few bark/groans.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
        Mine will hunt just about anything that moves, and will let his feelings be know when you miss. From a blank stare to a few bark/groans.

Beautiful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Used to chase blues, Bobs, and the occasional pheasant with a GSP and an English or a Brittany every weekend. Due to the decline in bird numbers over the last 20 years, I've switched to a lab and a vizsla.
          If i was offered the chance at a 150" deer or a limit of quail over a pair of good bird dogs, I'd take the bird hunt any day. It's a lot of fun watching a couple of dogs work that know how to hunt with each other and are willing to honor each other's point. That being said, my GSP was one of the most competitive dogs I've ever seen and in being so, he would not honor another dog's point. The moment he realised the other dog found the bird first, he would turn 180 degrees and start looking. He was big, and would fight anything on four legs but was an absolute baby with every person he ever met. I'd bet I pulled close to 1000 porcupine quills out of him in the 10 or so seasons I hunted him, he found at least one every year. Out of all the dogs I've trained or hunted over, he and a lab I buried three years ago stick out in my mind the most. I hope you and Ryker make a lot of memories together.

Comment

Originally posted by CaprockRoamer View Post
            Used to chase blues, Bobs, and the occasional pheasant with a GSP and an English or a Brittany every weekend. Due to the decline in bird numbers over the last 20 years, I've switched to a lab and a vizsla.
            If i was offered the chance at a 150" deer or a limit of quail over a pair of good bird dogs, I'd take the bird hunt any day. It's a lot of fun watching a couple of dogs work that know how to hunt with each other and are willing to honor each other's point. That being said, my GSP was one of the most competitive dogs I've ever seen and in being so, he would not honor another dog's point. The moment he realised the other dog found the bird first, he would turn 180 degrees and start looking. He was big, and would fight anything on four legs but was an absolute baby with every person he ever met. I'd bet I pulled close to 1000 porcupine quills out of him in the 10 or so seasons I hunted him, he found at least one every year. Out of all the dogs I've trained or hunted over, he and a lab I buried three years ago stick out in my mind the most. I hope you and Ryker make a lot of memories together.

Thank you for the well wishes with Ryker.

It is funny how quickly they get under your skin

Comment

Absolutely beautiful dogs in this thread!! Nothing I love more than hunting over tight working GSP's! I've always been a duck/goose guy and therefore worked with labs... trained a bunch of 'em over the years and got pretty good at it... After a few very successful put and take bird hunts over GSP's I got the wild hair and decided to get me a pup to train... To make a very long and painful story short, one of my best friends told me once after I was about 1/2 way through the kickoff year for my female GSP, "Charlie, I don't think I ever heard you say a swear word until you got that dog!!"... :
              Fortunately, I found an outfitter that had some fine lab pups for sale and he was looking for a pointing dog... I made the swap of a lifetime!!

I do love upland hunting over bird dogs, but they're not for me to train or own/keep.!!

Comment

True they can be a hand full and stubborn at times but then he is my hunting buddy...

I am really enjoying the journey and will get a female pup in a year’s time and train her as well.

Cant imagine two tornadoes in the house but they can keep each other busy ... Looking for mischief

Comment

I hunt with a GSP and a Boykin myself.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Beautiful dogs!

What bird species do you hunt for?

Comment

Great pics and beautiful dogs.

i've really wanted to get into more upland bird hunting. anyone here ever do any chukar hunting? i've been looking at Nevada, Idaho, Washington and Oregon trying to locate a guide/outfitter and hunt that fits me. still looking for something for next year. anyone have any input?

Comment

this thread would probably get more action if it was around the campfire

Comment

Working...
                              X