No announcement yet.

Sous vide trimmed brisket point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The plan was to eat it for a late lunch, but naturally there was an audible so just ate for dinner. It turned out very good. Will update later with pictures and my thoughts on pros/cons compared to traditional smoking.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
      I don’t know what the results will be but I get it.

The trick to a great brisket (which I can’t do and rarely experience) is for it to be smoked yet tender and juicy. The problem is cooking too fast or too long making it dry and tough. A perfectly cooked brisket might arguably be the best piece of meat out there however a crappy dried out brisket might as well be chopped up, covered with barbecue sauce and put on a bun as a sandwich.

A good brisket is done correctly by people putting in many hours of tending the pit and knowing what you are doing or (Heaven forbid) smoking it a couple of hours and finishing in the oven. A SV brisket would be the finishing in the oven version but instead sealed and not having the oven (or pit) problem of guessing (or having enough experience) to know when it is done. Unlike the oven or pit, SV final doneness and temperature is precise.

I get it. I hope it comes out like desired.
      Wow.
      All my brisket are both tender and juicy.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a limit to the amount of smoke any brisket can absorb. The rest of the time is rendering the fat and getting the bark.

Ive had the precooked brisket from Franklin's. They come shrink wrapped and the suggested heating method is just to boil it for an hour or so. I have no doubt yours would taste good. I think the big task is getting the texture right.

I'm interested!

Comment

Here's the brisket just after pulling from the SV at 5pm.
          Attached Files

Comment

The original plans to eat at 1pm changed, so because of the extra 4hrs in SV, I ended up putting on direct heat inside the smoker (not smoking it) for 20min to re-firm the bark. We consumed 5:45pm. The full point pictures are failing to upload. Here's a plate piece:
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is the full picture after re-firming the bark:
              Attached Files

Comment

Getting a Vide for Christmas. Looks good...............

Comment

Well how was the bark?

Was it worth all the time spent doing it this way compared to just smoking it?

Which way taste better in your opinion?

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      Well how was the bark?

Was it worth all the time spent doing it this way compared to just smoking it?

Which way taste better in your opinion?
                      Sorry for the delayed response...I took a long pit stop in El Paso on my way to Austin...

If I were to do this 4lb point again, I would lower the cook temp to 165 and/or SV it for 18-20hrs versus 24hrs. The beef in some parts was closer to pulled, fall apart beef rather than firm.

Since I didn't get this one to an "excellent" standard, I can't really compare it with an "excellent" standard traditional smoked brisket. I didn't notice any difference in texture or flavor. I thought the SV would have destroyed the bark but it actually was still good (6 out of 10). The smoke flavor carried through from the initial time in the smoker, which I didn't expect. And like I said, everyone commented on how juicy it was.

I will try SV again before going back to traditional, since I was flying blind on the proper SV temp and time. Also, our plans changed to eat over 4 hours after the original target...I don't know if I could have maintained this particular piece as well in the traditional method without drying some parts out.

Comparing the steps below, I actually think I spent less time with the SV... the "DO NOTHING" part for 18 hours was much easier than the periodic monitoring I do with traditional smoking: get internal temp to 2 separate stages (165 then 195), what if it's cooking faster than estimated, what if it won't get out of the stall fast enough, what if it's really cold outside and you're having to add charcoal to keep the temp constant, etc.

This was my SV method with this trimmed point:
                      1. Season, leave in refrigerator a few hours
                      2. Preheat smoker to 250
                      3. Pull direct from refrigerator and into smoker. Add Pecan Wood
                      4. Get the SV temp ready at 170 (this takes 5min)
                      5. Pull after 2-3 hours of smoke
                      6. Place into SV, and DO NOTHING for 18-24hrs
                      7. Pull from SV, and then re-firm bark for 30min (either direct heat, grill, oven or smoker)
                      8. Serve

Here's my traditional method for a full packer:
                      1. Season, leave in refrigerator a few hours
                      2. Preheat smoker to 235 if low and slow or 275-300 if hot and fast
                      3. Pull direct from refrigerator and into smoker. Add Pecan Wood
                      4. When internal temp reaches 165, double foil with 1/2 cup apple juice at bottom
                      5. When internal temp reaches 195-200, pull it, wrap in towels and into an empty ice chest to let rest for 1-2+ hours
                      6. Pull from ice chest and re-firm bark for 30min (either direct heat, grill, oven or smoker)
                      7. Serve
                      Last edited by DimmitCo; 12-09-2018, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the review

Comment

Well done, thanks for sharing the experience and results

Comment

Working...
                          X