Terrell County Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terrell_County View Post
    Pre rut is definitely on. Now thru first week of December has always been the best for us in north eastern part of Terrell. Will be hunting thru the 10th.
    Nice bucks! I’ll be out there Sunday-Wednesday. Hope to see a shooter!

Comment

Any luck. I am headed out Monday

Comment

I had a GREAT Terrell County hunt this past week. A Muley (with WT looking mainbeams), a WT, and a Javelina at 375 yards with my 13” Specialty Pistol in .308 which is my new distance record.
        LOVE TERRELL COUNTY!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got back from my annual desert hunt (Terrell Co. TX) and had the time of my life! Every year my brother and I head to our west Texas lease and spend 5 days enjoying the wilderness hunting whitetail, mule deer, and predators/javelina with our Specialty Pistols.

First morning in the stand I was sitting with “Doris” my Remington XP-100 in .45-70 Govt. A thick fog rolled in early and I could only see 40 yards ahead of me. I put my feet up, got put some breakfast from my pack, and thought to myself, “If God wants me to have a buck this morning, he’s pretty much gonna have to walk right under my stand.” Not even three minutes later I heard the sound of rocks moving under hooves and I watched a doe run from right to left under my blind. Hot on her tail was this no browtine 7 point that was on my hit-list. He stopped dead center in front of my blind just long enough to give me time to ready Doris and send a 225 grain Xtreme Hunter from Underwood Ammo straight through his front shoulder. He took a few steps and then crashed lights out. The Lehigh Defense bullet did its job and internal damage was massive. Love how both accurate and deadly these rounds are.

Second morning was clear and cooler. The deer movement wasn’t as much as I had hoped for, but there were a few whitetail and muley does in view. I then saw movement from behind a bush at 225 yards and I watched as a muley buck showed himself. He walked in my direction and stopped to look around at 153 yards. This time I was shooting “Hilda” my 13” Remington 700 Specialty Pistol in .308 Win and was shooting the Lehigh Defense 175gr Controlled Chaos bullets. I put a round through the right shoulder of the muley and watched as he piled up just a few yards from where he originally stood. When I approached the buck I was in awe of the literal bloodbath he was laying in. What looked like gallons of blood had poured from both the exit wound as well as his mouth. The Controlled Chaos bullets are designed to send the base through as a kind of solid acting projectile while the nose of the bullet sends off razor sharp pedals in different directions once entry is made. This was my second kill with this bullet and it definitely will be my pick for my .308 caliber hunting bullet from now on. The damage from the separating pedals doesn’t make a bad shot good, but in the event that a bullet doesn’t go where it’s supposed to, they do provide a little better margin for error and they definitely put lights out almost instantly in my experience.
          At this point I’m two days in, and have two bucks in the cooler!

Third day I was tagged out for deer and wanted to get a longer shot at a javelina to stretch the legs of Hilda. I went up a ridge line to glass at daylight and spotted a pack of javelinas feeding at 880 yards down in the bottom. I drove the Mule down the ridge as far as possible which put me 375 yards away from the javi’s. I crawled up on the high rack of the Mule and positioned the Specialty Pistol for the shot. Dialed in my distance and didn’t have to hold any for wind due to a light headwind. I picked the biggest of the group of 5 and positioned my crosshairs right on its front shoulder. I sent another of the 175 grain Controlled Chaos bullets down range and I watched as the javelina dropped in his tracks. He didn’t make a move after the shot and literally laid in the spot he was standing when the bullet struck. I made my way down to to pick up my trophy and new distance record of 375 yards from a Specialty Pistol. Got the pics taken and the javi on ice.

My hunt was complete other than all the work of processing the game which we do all ourselves. The deer will be made into jerky and sausage and the javelina into tamales.

God is GOOD and another hunt is in the books with the Specialty Pistols.... I couldn’t ask for anything more.

One of the pedals recovered from the Controlled Chaos bullet.

Some camp pics:

Deer jerky in the making:

Javelina deboned for tamales:

Comment

The wife killed this guy on Wednesday. Between him and her elk, she’s putting me to shame this year...

(Elk pic attached just for fun)

Comment

Where in the county are you getting hogs ? No hogs near the airport in dryden that I know of.

Comment

I’d be interested to know where the hogs are as well. We’re 16 miles north of Dryden on the east side of 349 and we don’t have any.

I had a game cam pic of a single hog 2 years ago. Nothing before or since.

Comment

I was invited to hunt a place between Dryden and Sanderson that sits approximately 20 miles north of 90. We did not shoot anything but saw lots of deer including some very good deer. One of the lease members has shot very nice muleys every year out there.

There are some deep canyons with decent size oak trees in them where the hills dominate the terrain. Love that type of country, specially when good rains have nourished the vegetation. Good luck to you folks hunting Terrel county.

Comment

Terrell County Hunting 2018-2019

I just found this page and thread. I’ve been hunting east of Dryden for about 5 years now. How’s movement for everyone else today?. I’ve seen one three pt. Whitetail and that’s it.
                    Last edited by Dhtx1117; 12-08-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                      I’d be interested to know where the hogs are as well. We’re 16 miles north of Dryden on the east side of 349 and we don’t have any.

I had a game cam pic of a single hog 2 years ago. Nothing before or since.

We hunt pretty close to each other. My lease is 8 miles north of Dryden on the east side of 349. Day before testerday saw a very nice mulie tailing a doe. I hunted the 1st week of Mule deer season but didn't see anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhtx1117 View Post
                        I just found this page and thread. I’ve been hunting east of Dryden for about 5 years now. How’s movement for everyone else toda?. I’ve seen one three or. Whitetail and that’s it.
                        Looks wet out there. My wireless game cam pics it looks like it has been raining. I only had on mule deer doe on camera this morning. I hunt 8 miles north of Dryden on the east side of 349.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                          Looks wet out there. My wireless game cam pics it looks like it has been raining. I only had on mule deer doe on camera this morning. I hunt 8 miles north of Dryden on the east side of 349.

Oh it’s been wet for sure. Rained all day yesterday and last night. Caught a. break on the way to the blind this morning but it picked back up and stayed constant until around 9am. Skies have opened up but I still haven’t seen anything other than a baby 3pt. WT.
                          I’m about 3 miles east of Dryden off the north side of 90.

Last edited by Dhtx1117; 12-08-2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Ended muley season with no luck. Didn’t see a single one today. Dang things are elusive and don’t follow habitual routines like WT. I did watch and older fat WT all weekend, going to save him for my wife’s first buck. He’s no where near a wall hanger, but he should dress out at 150+, sucker is fat. Now, the five hour drive home and up for work at 0530. Hope y’all had better luck.

Comment

Side note. This is my first year feeding out here. (Years past was always spot and stalk. Had had success with that in the past 8pt muley, 10 pt. WT, and 2 old fat WT doe. ) What do y’all feed, how often do you feed, are the results worth it? I’m on the hwy, total property is 600 acres, I have one blind and feeder on a 250 acre pasture west of prairie creek. I mixed 50/50 corn and L&E blast feed this year. Growing up hunting in South Texas I fed corn year round. That was mainly just to keep them from going next door.

Last edited by Dhtx1117; 12-09-2018, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Good last 10 days for the crew
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X