• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
    What was the final tally on the deer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Their Facebook had an update this evening saying 4 deer and 5 javelinas

Comment

Glad y'all left some for us. Can't wait till next week.

Comment

Was a good time but the light winds the last two days and minor equipment noises cost me two good shot oops. Also as usual a shooter buck showed the first morning but wasn’t what I was looking for at the time. It’s a trophy hunt not a meat hunt. I had opportunities and that’s more than most just made some rookie mistakes. These hunts def humble you and remind you what real hunting is.

Congrats to the lucky hunters.

I was in a rush when I left today. Anyone see or get pics of the last two bucks that were brought in.

Comment

For next week...who all is camping and who will be roughing it at local Cotulla motel?

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
            Was a good time but the light winds the last two days and minor equipment noises cost me two good shot oops. Also as usual a shooter buck showed the first morning but wasn’t what I was looking for at the time. It’s a trophy hunt not a meat hunt. I had opportunities and that’s more than most just made some rookie mistakes. These hunts def humble you and remind you what real hunting is.

Congrats to the lucky hunters.

I was in a rush when I left today. Anyone see or get pics of the last two bucks that were brought in.

I saw one. It was a 105 inch 8 point. Of the 4 bucks taken, I would comment that 2 of them were quality. Other 2 I believe were very nice 3.5 yr old deer. The one 3.5 taken early in the week was over 17 inches wide but only scored 100. For those guys hunting next week, we had a couple of these type of bucks in bow range but if u can, hold off because there are definitely better [emoji1662].

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
              I saw one. It was a 105 inch 8 point. Of the 4 bucks taken, I would comment that 2 of them were quality. Other 2 I believe were very nice 3.5 yr old deer. The one 3.5 taken early in the week was over 17 inches wide but only scored 100. For those guys hunting next week, we had a couple of these type of bucks in bow range but if u can, hold off because there are definitely better [emoji1662].

Sweet that’s good to know it’s always tough passing on deer the first day that I would shoot the last day.
              We will be roughing it in a camper that one of my buddies will let us borrow

Comment

Any input on which chap pastures you think hold the best deer. Going Tuesday so any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Brokeno.

Comment

I have managed to hunt the Chap 3 times in the last 8 years (GDE, ADE, and Youth). There are no bad compartments on the entire place. Quality deer are in all of them, but they are not stupid and don't just walk around for you to shoot. It will be as challenging a hunt as you have been on. This year the vegetation is high, and we found the Matador hunt was difficult for us for this reason. Read all of the current threads and glean any info you can. Get on some good trails in out of the way places, look for openings surrounded by good bedding or travel cover. Spend the extra time to really brush in your pop=ups or tripods well.

Hunt ALL day, they are smart and move all day, and sometimes key on the fact that hunters go in for lunch and come back out a couple hours before dark.

Good luck.

Comment

Blank has some good comments. If u do ground blinds, brush them in real good. Then go back and double the amount of brush. These aren’t typical state park public hunt deer.

Also stay in the blind as long as u can. Best deer we saw was chasing a doe across a sendero at 11 am. Saw lots of deer driving in and out as well.

From talking with other hunters, everyone was seeing good deer. We even saw a stud right behind the office driving out one day. Just hard to close the deal. And don’t be afraid to be choosy. This is one of the few public hunts where u have a shot at a true trophy. Deer r in great shape and there r some really good 3.5 year olds, which seem to be pretty plentiful. That was the first good dawn crop after the drought. Best of luck and I’ll be following along next week.

Comment

This was my third time to be on the Chapparral. First time to actually hunt it. I recommend google earth big time to help find trails and drains. Also bring a pop up and a small tripod. Bring a few cameras and plenty of corn for those spots. Also I think if you play the wind right helps a lot. Put up more then one camera at a spot it may help you to see where deer are coming in at. Knowing that will help you placing a pop up or tripod. I sat from sun up till 11 and sat back in at 2 the time between I ate lunch and checked cameras. But as there being a better spot I think the whole place has great deer. I saw some giants just driving on the paved road from the headquarters to the stand. They are everywhere

Comment

I usually take a peanut butter and jelly sammich and stay all day. Hopefully the weather will stay cool and dry. Talking 3 cameras and setting up 2 pop ups 6 bags of corn so hopefully an old bruiser will come by.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                          Close to 60 standby hunters

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                          Hopefully, there won't be that many on this next hunt.

Did hear from some guys at work...in the field, that they may have around 3 or so groups going down... depending on schedules.

If I am drawn, I do plan on staying all day in the blind.

Hopefully, no snakes as it will be warm in the afternoons.

Comment

Im counting down the days

Comment

Dad and I will be there

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I figured y'all would be. See you then.

Comment

Working...
                                X