Letting one walk....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
    I could never get him to 5 years old by looking at him. I thought I screwed up by not shooting him st thanksgiving. But I hope he turns into a monster next year. It is definitely a difficult decision to let him walk. 5 or 6 years ago he would have been dead the year before on our lease. But we got a group that is finally letting stuff get mature.

And I wouldn’t say we are in a big deer area. We are north of 90 between Hondo and uvalde. It’s amazing what a little age can do.

Not sure of score since he has all the stuff but a buddy said he would go 155-160 now

Here are some pictures of him last year. We called him “baby face” last year because he looked so young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing these photos from last season. I feel confident that he was 3.5 last year and 4.5 this year. I would bet most the 4.5 guys would agree. This deer is a true low fence super star, unicorns that come around from time to time. I’ve been lucky to hunt a couple and they were special to watch. These are the type of deer that jump 30”s every year. Like has been mentioned 2 more years and this deer is pushing 200+. Next year he could easily be 170-180 in my eyes at 5. I would guess him 150-160 this year without putting numbers on him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This^^^^^^

We have one that is built like him. Really exploded at 5. We have him at 6 this year, but he dropped about 20-30” from last year. Combination of Harvey flood and then the timber crew came in with a helicopter and chemicals last spring/summer and scorch earthed all the clear cuts for the pines to grow in his area.

Frustrating, but that is part of the game where we hunt.
      Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-09-2018, 09:35 PM.

Comment

No way I could have passed him.

Congrats on a nice deer

Comment

if he makes the same jump next year, he is 175+

Comment

That’s a special Buck there good luck on keeping him alive for another season are two !

Comment

I hope he mated early and often to keep those genes going.. All I can say is u must be in monster country to let him pass.. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by xtrm-hunter View Post
                I hope he mated early and often to keep those genes going.. All I can say is u must be in monster country to let him pass.. Good Luck
                I would not say that we are in "monster deer" country. We hunt north of US90 in Uvalde county between Uvalde and Hondo.

Although the ranch manager has said that there is the potential there. He remembers 40-50 years ago that there were some 180s killed in the area.

Part of our pasture is typical rocky hill country, and parts have more of a mesquite brush.

Comment

Dang! I don’t know if I could have passed him

Comment

He better not venture north!

Great deer. I think he is 4.5 also, especially after seeing his pics last year!

Comment

No way I pass that deer unless I have 2000 acres I don’t know how you did it, but I sure hope it pays off.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
                        I would not say that we are in "monster deer" country. We hunt north of US90 in Uvalde county between Uvalde and Hondo.

Although the ranch manager has said that there is the potential there. He remembers 40-50 years ago that there were some 180s killed in the area.

Part of our pasture is typical rocky hill country, and parts have more of a mesquite brush.
                        I hunted a pasture like that years ago west of Sabinal
                        Good genetics. Before season I saw the biggest hill country deer I have ever seen. Neighbors got him 16 point 22”
                        But I will never forget him skylined in velvet.

BTW. That deer you passed has amazing potential!

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          It looks like that deer has ****** down his legs so much the urine has scolded the hair off just below his hocks. Anyone of yall ever seen that before or know what it usually means? Here is a clearer example.
                          Yep, that is urine scalding. Only happens on bucks 5.5 plus and the heaviest of breeders. It’s a good post rut sign to help age off of.

Comment

Beautiful buck

Comment

Wow

My guess is he’s 5 and looks good and young. Hope he stays!!

Comment

He is still kicking. Had been hanging out at 2 different stands. But mainly at the one I first saw him. Still looks in good shape body wise. So I am hopeful
                                Watched him for 25 minutes on Saturday.

It was tough to roll the dice. But it looks like he is good to go. Found a smaller deer that got killed from the rut on Saturday. Got a puncture in the guts. Hopefully everyone will leave him alone for another couple weeks and he will start eating some protein this year

Comment

Working...
                                X