Coues Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coues Deer

planning a trip to arizona for 2020... has anyone done this with otc archery tags? what to expect? what to take? etc etc etc...planning on driving with camper and buddy...i know this is going to be a tough a** hunt but would be a great way to start a deer slam off!

I got drawn last year. One of the best hunts I’ve ever done. My buddy shot a good 4x4 (apparently they don’t count eye guards).

Probably the two most obvious things, good glass and good boots.

Most deer we were spotting on hill sides 750-1000 yards.
    I went into the hunt hoping to see 1-2 deer a day.
    We saw 6-13 a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
      I got drawn last year. One of the best hunts I’ve ever done. My buddy shot a good 4x4 (apparently they don’t count eye guards).

Probably the two most obvious things, good glass and good boots.

Most deer we were spotting on hill sides 750-1000 yards.
      I went into the hunt hoping to see 1-2 deer a day.
      We saw 6-13 a day

what part of arizona were you hunting in? trying to start research now to see if i can get an otc tag instead of getting in the lottery system

Comment

Man that sure seems like it would be a difficult hunt. Sounds right up my alley lol!

I have no information, but I would like to find my way there for a mule deer hunt soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas View Post
          what part of arizona were you hunting in? trying to start research now to see if i can get an otc tag instead of getting in the lottery system
          From what I remember every deer unit has OTC archery hunts. Just show up and buy a tag.

Comment

Good binos on a tripod!!!!!

Comment

We are going as well (Dec 30-Jan 7). Plan on archery deer. We will put in for the archery javi and also plan to hunt rabbits plus maybe ducks. We were going to go just across the NM border but we are going to go closer to Tuscon.

Watch the Randy Newberg videos. They have a lot of information.

Comment

Unit 27 last Sept for a week. Got 2 stalks in and let 1 arrow go but nothing down. Steep country and saw deer everyday. Closing the distance is the hard part. Work obligations won't let me got this year but I will return again. Amazing hunt and beautiful country. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Headed there this coming January. Too focused on September elk to have started e-scouting much although we know the unit we are headed to. Soon enough though-- it will have all my attention.

Comment

Yep January 2004, awesome trip. All three of us had opportunities within 20-25 yds. All recurve shooters. Wind switched or evergreen in the way or running shot. Pay attention to weather January is kinda unpredictable and changes quick. The animals are there. Back then the archery deer tag is for either Couse or mule deer. Do your research now. Contact the local game warden for advice. We were in the Chiricahua mountain range. Talked to the gw several times over phone. He actually took us on a tour the first morning because I had built a good repor over the previous months. Wished I could go again.

Comment

I'm slowly accumulating gear for trips like this. It's on my bucket list of hunts to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas View Post

I was in 30b

Comment

I've been talking to the biologists about where to go. They have been very helpful on units that will have cues and mule deer. I want that option as a backup if they get frustrated chasing cues. We plan to base camp, drive to areas and glass. I think we will go after javalina first as they are a little easier.

Comment

Also, if you want a javelina option, that draw is in October. I think it goes well with a cues hunt.

Comment

I'm stationed in Tucson so I can help y'all out if you need anything

Comment

Working...
                              X