Ballistic help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballistic help

Okay, you ballistic gurus...can you, or should you shoot .308 bullets in a 7.62x39 rifle?

Are you asking;

If you may use .30 cal bullets in a 7.62x39 casing? As if you are reloading? Or are you asking if a .308 Winchester cartridge will fit into a 7.62X39 chamber?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasWicked1 View Post
      Are you asking;

If you may use .30 cal bullets in a 7.62x39 casing? As if you are reloading? Or are you asking if a .308 Winchester cartridge will fit into a 7.62X39 chamber?
      I am hoping he is asking can he use a .308 caliber projectile in a .311 bored barrel!

Comment

Nope

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
          I am hoping he is asking can he use a .308 caliber projectile in a .311 bored barrel!
          Might hear a rattling sound.....

Comment

No.

Comment

Depends on the barrel. Some domestic firearms chambered in 7.62x39 have .308 barrels. Foreign manufacturers have used fron.310 to .312 barrels. I have loaded .308 bullets in .310 bores with satisfactory results. I've never tried them in .312 bores, that would certainly be pushing it to get any accuracy. Ruger 7.62x39 rifles have been made with .308 bores, Colt uppers have been made with .308 bores., and i believe TC's barrels. My RCBS dies come with expander balls for both .308 and .311. My CZ 527 bore slugs .310, and will shoot either.

Comment

Yes you can. No it won't rattle down the bore since the lands will be around .302. Accuracy will most likely be affected and you'll get some gas blowby. Some companies offer their 7.62x39 barrels with a .308 bore specifically for handloaders.

Ruger has done something similar in offering a .357 with 9mm cylinders which uses .355 bullets. Cheaper ammo in a .357 but again accuracy suffers.

Comment

If you're asking if the ammo is interchangeable, NO! .308 or 7.62X51 will not chamber in a 7.62X39 chamber...

Comment

I'm not asking if the rounds are interchangeable what I'm looking at is buying a 7.62 by 39 and handloading for it will using 308 diameter bullets I don't want to have to try to find 3:11 or 3:12 I'd rather load the cases with 308 and shoot stuff with it

Comment

Yes they will work, will they be accurate probably enough for hunting. Midway offers a .312 diameter soft point made for hunting and they are very reasonable in price.

Comment

Originally posted by Davik View Post
                        I'm not asking if the rounds are interchangeable what I'm looking at is buying a 7.62 by 39 and handloading for it will using 308 diameter bullets I don't want to have to try to find 3:11 or 3:12 I'd rather load the cases with 308 and shoot stuff with it
                        Do you know what the bore is on the prospective rifle? I’d contact the manufacturer if you’re buying something new. .311 bullets aren’t too hard to come by either.

And lastly why do you want to load for 7.62x39??

Comment

No that's an Ak47 and SkS round. .308 is a 7.62x51

Comment

slug the bore and then decide for yourself,,

Comment

Working...
                            X