Old Sabine Bottom WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Sabine Bottom WMA

I have a small farm I hunt which is about 100 acres, but I want to go on a hunting trip just to mix things up this year instead of hitting my farm up all the time

those of have hunted here, is their a good source of deer here? what are some good access points, I want to do a spot and stalk hunt with the longbow so walking is no issue....

any advice and input on this public WMA would be greatly appreciated thanks
    and god bless

1804 pastures are a good place to start. Some times while hog hunting we jump deer in the cane thickets. I would check with the office on the last time it flooded. I got drawn for a hunt there a few years ago but it was about 3 weeks after a flood and there were zero animals.

Comment

That place was under water for most of the spring with all the rains that we had. Its difficult to hunt in my opinion. The deer are there but you really have to put in some walking and do your homework. 1804 is a good entrance, or if the river is high enough a boat works well. Other than that there is just a few spots off of the main road that you can park and enter. Not sure yet how all of the rains this spring will effect the hunting this fall it was just flooded for so long.

Comment

Without a doubt the hardest place to kill "a" deer. Flooded all of last season and all spring. Once water rises and pushed deer where they funnel.... They close it. Half is atv access... That has been closed to atv every time I've been, so if you want to hunt over 8 miles of the place it's walk only. Hogs are typically a dime a dozen if you put in the miles and stalk... And don't care to drag them 5-6 miles out.

The switch cane last season during scouting was so bad, I can't describe it without you thinking I'm joking. I had made my mind up at one point to spend the night and recoup my energy to press forward... But the mosquitos changed my mind. Alligators are everywhere as well... You will see them if your there enough, especially the atv side.

I've drug 2 out of there, and I promise I could get an elk off a mountain faster and easier

But if you ain't got a place... It's better than nothing

Comment

It's a tough place to hunt I've hunted it most of my life and I've only killed 6 or 7 deer off there. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive heard there are some good deer there to be had, IF you can expend the energy to get to them and drag them out. I would invest in a mountain bike with a trailer. You will be able to cover more ground.

Comment

I appreciate the info, seems like its a challenge to hunt, I don't mind that at all, at the place I hunt spot and stalking is nearly impossible with how its set up, I'm always in a ground blind or tree stand....great genetics at my place, great source, just don't want to over hunt the first month of the season and want to mix things up, its not a far trip so I wont have to spend much money on anything besides a little gas, and enough food and water for 2 days

Comment

Does anyone run trail cameras out there, other then me. Only ever seen one other one, but just curious if anyone has some illusive monsters on cam, or constant quality deer.

Comment

From your area, consider Cooper Lake and Tawakoni WMA also.

Comment

I went there once. Once.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                      From your area, consider Cooper Lake and Tawakoni WMA also.
                      I lived in cooper/paris for awhile and know the area quite well, but haven't hunted cooper WMA, but I heard their is deer in there but its also tough hunting in that area

Comment

If you go, bring your hip boots for the North side and your thermacell! Water was up from November till a couple weeks ago. Still a lot of deep standing water. There are some good deer, but as said above hard hunting. Not like South TX. Make sure you get a rule book from the OSBWMA office. The office staff are very helpful!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cphillips View Post
                          Does anyone run trail cameras out there, other then me. Only ever seen one other one, but just curious if anyone has some illusive monsters on cam, or constant quality deer.
                          Seen one on a camera there in the 130's and seen one killed there in the low 130's. Most cameras are doomed to flood and theft. You never know when a 2" ran will flood the place for 2 months or not raise the river an inch.

Access is the biggest downer there, it's sad really

Best "tip" I can give is get a boat. The place is short: north and south, but very long east and west. Take a boat up and down river and access from the north. &@$% a bike there way too many blowdowns and swamps/ slews to go threw and around. I had the same idea and scrapped that as soon as I got on the place. Foot or boat since atv is really not an option.

If you want hogs just find sign, and listen. If they aren't in the cane you can stalk them..... If they are ( and they are) you can kill one with a knife as easy as any other weapon. It's hundreds and hundreds of acres of 10' tall cane with blow downs mixed in

Comment

I have a inflatable boat that might be perfect for this trip, do you need a public land permit to hunt hogs there? I'm sure you do, I plan on getting my license this week, I may have friend a tag a along with me, I would like to go out and kind of scout the area before I plan a weekend trip to make sure its worth it

Comment

Will need permit to be on property. River is full of trees and snags. As long as the boat can handle it, should be fine. You can unload on 1804 and go up or down river, or access the main entrance and do the same. I prefer the main entrance. As its access to more "timber" vs saplings and briar thickets on the 1804 side. Both have deer and hog... I just prefer timber for stalking as well as stand hunting

Comment

Working...
                              X