Caught my 2yr old in the "gun closet"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caught my 2yr old in the "gun closet"

Like the title says figured out my daughter can reach the door handles and get into my "gun closet" now. When we got the new house we never got around to buying a safe and found her hiding in the closet with my guns today. Needless to say I got a me new Liberty Lincoln ordered today and on its way to me. I always unload my weapons when they're in the home other than my pistol anyway but all it would take is forgetting one time.

Also I know "if you teach them safety they will know to stay away" blah blah. I've started that as soon as she could walk to not touch without daddy but that doesn't always work with little ones. They are curious.

If anyone else has some in a closet or laying around be extra careful the kids think dad is cool and like dads things.

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
    Like the title says figured out my daughter can reach the door handles and get into my "gun closet" now. When we got the new house we never got around to buying a safe and found her hiding in the closet with my guns today. Needless to say I got a me new Liberty Lincoln ordered today and on its way to me. I always unload my weapons when they're in the home other than my pistol anyway but all it would take is forgetting one time.

Also I know "if you teach them safety they will know to stay away" blah blah. I've started that as soon as she could walk to not touch without daddy but that doesn't always work with little ones. They are curious.

If anyone else has some in a closet or laying around be extra careful the kids think dad is cool and like dads things.
    Well sounds like you found a solution before there was a problem good job. Your right it only takes one time and there could be a terrible accident. It has almost happened to me. Thank god no body got hurt.

Comment

You can put a new door knob with a lock on the closet until the safe gets in.

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
        You can put a new door knob with a lock on the closet until the safe gets in.
        They've been picked up and put on top shelves that even my wife can't reach now. Weird thing was I was in town and looking at safes (my wife didn't know that's what I was doing) when my wife called and told me she found my daughter in there

Comment

Good on ya. My dad hammered the education into us and always kept his in a closet, but I don't really remember any of that sinking in until I was 7-8yrs old. Really hard to be comfortable that a 2-3yr old will reliably understand at the level you want them to. You'll like having the safe anyway, and nice pick with the Liberty Lincoln.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
            Good on ya. My dad hammered the education into us and always kept his in a closet, but I don't really remember any of that sinking in until I was 7-8yrs old. Really hard to be comfortable that a 2-3yr old will reliably understand at the level you want them to. You'll like having the safe anyway, and nice pick with the Liberty Lincoln.

Thanks that sucker is nice. I wanted a presidential but not sure I could justify the $ for what I would be putting in it

Also a terrible idea to not have them locked up in case of break in

Comment

I hit mi boys hard about gun safety. I wasn't as worried about my kids, It was their friends!! I use a Liberty, It's great safe.
              P.S. If it is a manual lock, DO NOT SPIN FAST !!!!! Slow and steady.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                I hit mi boys hard about gun safety. I wasn't as worried about my kids, It was their friends!! I use a Liberty, It's great safe.
                I will also but a 2yr old can't learn gun safety. Little ones are very curious when you aren't looking

Comment

I have all of mine locked in a gun cabinet(not a safe) that is in a bedroom closet. My little one is just over a year old and luckily can't reach or turn door knobs, yet. This does remind me that my wife and I need to look at a different storage solution that is harder for my daughter to get into. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
                    I have all of mine locked in a gun cabinet(not a safe) that is in a bedroom closet. My little one is just over a year old and luckily can't reach or turn door knobs, yet. This does remind me that my wife and I need to look at a different storage solution that is harder for my daughter to get into. Thanks.
                    Definitely my little monster has started unlocking doors also apparently and will catch her outside so now the security system beeps when a door opens haha

Comment

All my kids except my 2yr old baby girl know how to shoot and how to respect guns, but I also keep all my guns safely locked up in my gun room.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post

x2

when I was 4 or 5 my Dad laid a pistol on the coffee table and told me he was gonna take a nap and if I touched that pistol I was gonna get the worst spanking that I ever got.

I waited for what seemed like an eternity to a four year old. Then I crept over to the table and reached out...BOOOOOOM. I got the worst spanking I ever got. It was many years before I would get a gun without asking even though I had free reign of the gun closet.. LOL

But a safe is always best

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post

What does spinning fast do? Damage the lock?

Comment

I took one of my small hand guns and made sure it was unloaded and locked open.... anyway I put it on my bed, as I wanted to see what my youngest about 2yo would do if he found a gun. a few minutes later he made it into the bedroom climbed up on the bed and once he found the gun... it was scary how fast his fingers found the trigger and it wasn't like he had toy guns of his own.

Comment

Originally posted by OPC Patrick View Post
                              I took one of my small hand guns and made sure it was unloaded and locked open.... anyway I put it on my bed, as I wanted to see what my youngest about 2yo would do if he found a gun. a few minutes later he made it into the bedroom climbed up on the bed and once he found the gun... it was scary how fast his fingers found the trigger and it wasn't like he had toy guns of his own.
                              I bet. They sure get into stuff quick

Comment

Working...
                              X