Night Hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Hogs

I've owned my property for only about 2 years it's a mix of pasture brush/pines/oaks with a seasonal stream that runs through it. My wife and I bought it for the investment, creation of a farm/ apiary (bees) and for me to hunt. So far so good. I've harvested my share of Whitetail Deer, have grown corn, tomatoes, peppers and potatoes and the honey isn't bad either. I knew that there were hogs in the area because I saw tracks, droppings and etc. When I put out a game camera the hogs were few and far between. However, when I put out my feeder they started coming just a little more. When I started spreading the corn on the trails I would lead the hogs to my feeder. Now they are pretty constant, showing up only at night. When it was hot, they would only come around between 1am and be gone completely by 4am. Now since it's gotten cooler they arrive not long after sundown and wont be spotted after sunrise. They just don't seem to come out around my area until the sun is gone. Now I've got a good mix, lone boars and lone sows with large sounders coming through.

Any idea on how to get them to come during the daylight?

Following

Comment

Create a 100% pressure free zone for 1,000 yards around the feeder. That's about the only way.

Comment

I am experiencing the same thing on my property and hope they start coming in during daylight with the cooler weather.
        In the meantime I have setup feeder lights in hopes they get used to them and I can get a few at night.

Comment

Originally posted by BetramHunter View Post
          I am experiencing the same thing on my property and hope they start coming in during daylight with the cooler weather.
          In the meantime I have setup feeder lights in hopes they get used to them and I can get a few at night.
          I love hunting at night, but I'd also love to hunt during the day...for hogs. I am happy that I've been able to bring them in.

Comment

some places its just not possible. My place is on the river and has hwy frontage... they would come in almost every night... but because of road traffic be gone when the road started getting busy. I built a large trap around my feeder and then one morning they were there when I showed up. 11 hogs at once.

Comment

Originally posted by OPC Patrick View Post
              some places its just not possible. My place is on the river and has hwy frontage... they would come in almost every night... but because of road traffic be gone when the road started getting busy. I built a large trap around my feeder and then one morning they were there when I showed up. 11 hogs at once.
              Good point. I should just be happy that I got them coming in at night on a regular basis

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
                Good point. I should just be happy that I got them coming in at night on a regular basis
                I sure wish you were closer to me. I would pay all of mine to come to your place !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  I sure wish you were closer to me. I would pay all of mine to come to your place !

Ha...I knew some would say something like that.

Comment

Easier just to get set up for night hunting

Comment

What part of Grimes county are you in?

I hunt on my uncles place out in Navasota. He owns the old race track out there with acreage in back.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmorrow View Post
                        Easier just to get set up for night hunting
                        That's what I figured.

Comment

Our hogs went from fully nocturnal to only coming out in the daytime. Just happened with absolutely no change from us. My guess is that we don't pressure them much and we try and keep the noise to a minimum around the place.

Comment

Thanks! They are an odd animal.

Comment

Originally posted by More Liberty View Post
                              Ha...I knew some would say something like that.
                              In all seriousness, we have had a huge hog problem, so we just used night vision and shot the hell out of them at night. They started running in the daytime, and we shot the hell out of them again. Most of them found somewhere they liked better, and some were coyote food. About 15 hogs killed on my little 217 ac. so far this year and probably not done. Anytime one shows his stinking head, we shoot it if we can.

Comment

Working...
                              X