AR confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR confusion

Im looking to get into ar shooting for hogs...im confused with all the barrel choices...i want to run 50 -75 gr bullets in this gun...what barrel twist do i need to be looking for?

1:7

Comment

Are you hunting out of a blind, out of a truck? Barrel length will make a difference as far as velocity and pointability. My Bushmaster has a 16" barrel and 1:9 twist rate. It's not fond of 50 grainers, but loves the 75 grainers. It does OK with 64 grain bullets. Lighter bullets will need a longer twist rate, heavier bullets will need a faster twist rate to stabilize.

I didn't think my AR would like the 75 grain ammunition, but it does. It shoots Speer Gold Dot ammo under an inch. The 50 grain ammunition gives me a shotgun pattern.

Comment

So...1/8 would be a good comprimise? Or 1.7 ?

Comment

If you're looking to buy a new upper specifically for hogs, I wouldn't go with a .223/5.56 AR. It'll work fine if you already have one, but any of the other cartridges would hit harder: 7.62x39, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, and 300 BLK have a bit more power downrange, which means over the long term you'll lose fewer animals.

That said, the answer to your question is 1:7. As a general rule, when in doubt about what you'll be shooting, go with a fast twist. It'll do fine for lighter bullets and will also stabilize the heavies.

Comment

Originally posted by Davik View Post
            So...1/8 would be a good comprimise? Or 1.7 ?
            The next one I get will be 1:7

Comment

1:8

Comment

JMO, but consider the 6.5 Grendel. It is a larger pill than what you were wanting to shoot, but it would be a much better hunting round for hogs or deer.

Comment

I would go with 1:7, it’s going to stabilize the window you specified just fine.

Comment

[ATTACH]951650[/ATTACH]

not sure I agree with all of this, but a good start

Comment

Another vote for the blackout if primarily hogs...

Comment

Originally posted by Brett A View Post
                        JMO, but consider the 6.5 Grendel. It is a larger pill than what you were wanting to shoot, but it would be a much better hunting round for hogs or deer.
                        I agree, although I have killed a butt load of hogs with a couple ARs, the 223 is not as well of a round for hogs as the larger options.

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                          I agree, although I have killed a butt load of hogs with a couple ARs, the 223 is not as well of a round for hogs as the larger options.
                          We shoot a lot of pigs. If you want meat or photos, get a 6.5
                          If you want to shoot at pigs and kill some, shoot the little .223.
                          Head shots work well the first shot on a sounder. After that it gets tougher.

Comment

Keep it simple, don’t over think it, rember bullet placement is what counts and have fun.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Working...
                              X