1998 Tacoma Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1998 Tacoma Question

Have the opportunity to buy a 1998 Tacoma 4x4 5speed extended cab. V6. 220k miles. New tires. Body in good shape. Front bumper is only damage. Interior descent. AC currently not working but he is fixing now. Tagged and inspected clear title. $4k. I have looked up and down and can’t find anything comparable for sale. Good buy and good motor? Looking for truck to drive from home to ranch 15 miles. And to get around and use instead of a utv that’s a lot more $$. Was gonna offer him $3500 but not sure if I should just buy it or keep looking for something under $3k or do those even exist? Thanks for any info.

Sounds like a fair price they hold their resale. If the timing belt has not been changed that should be done . Other than that buy it you won't loose any money at the asking price

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
      Sounds like a fair price they hold their resale. If the timing belt has not been changed that should be done . Other than that buy it you won't loose any money at the asking price
      He did just replace the clutch. I started it and it seemed jumpy but he said the clutch may need to be bleed again since new but was having that done with AC. Timing belt is that just like a regular belt? They looked new on the motor. Thanks for the info! I’m truck stupid

Comment

That's a good buy. I've seen these same trucks run $8-10k. I'm in the market as well but I don't want to spend a whole lot. Lol

Comment

If it feels like a good buy with your gut you better go for it. I understand $500.00 is 20% of the asking price of the truck but in the big picture? Worst case scenario sell it yourself if you don’t like it.

Comment

Like any high mileage vehicle it's always a gamble.

I keep on seeing people talk about how Tacomas will go 300k no problem. Then at the same time I keep on seeing Tacomas for sale with problems.

Comment

Sounds like a very solid buy to me. Offer $3500 and see what he says. I sold my 2001 trd 4x4 with 188k for $9600 and my 1996 with 165k for $6500 without working a/c. They are great trucks and I currently drive a 2001 TRD 4x4 with 248k and won’t get rid of it. I’ll have it until the kids need a vehicle

Comment

4k sounds like a fair deal for that truck. You see them go for more than that pretty often. Timing belt is a bit different from the belts you see when you look in. You can replace it yourself, but just depends on your comfort level. Check this out for steps: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timing_belt/

Comment

Timing belt and do the water pump while you’re in there. You’ll already have it apart so you might as well. Toyota’s are tough as nails.

Comment

I have the 99 4 wheel drive standard transmission but mine is the 4 cylinder. I bought that truck brand new and still love it. I get about 20 mpg and it won’t tow worth a flip but I didn’t get it for that. I have 270 k on mine. I have replace the starter and power steering pump and that’s it besides regular maitenance. It is tough to get it stuck that’s for sure.

Mine has a timing chain and not a timing belt not sure about the one you are looking for. $4000 seems about right but with the ac and clutch issues I would try 3500. Buy without fear. Great truck.

Comment

Buy it at 3500 if you know the guy

I've been watching them at the auction I work. One similar to what you describe sold for 7k the other day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

98 is a great year for Tacomas. Last year of lock out hubs.

I drive mine everyday and has 475k on the odometer. I know I wouldn't take what they are asking for mine.

Easiest way to fix the front bumper is with a full replacement.

Comment

ask if the rear axle bearings and seals been replaced. Its a job to get them done, parts alone would run about 450-500 if going back OEM. If they are bad plan on doing the rear brakes as well since they would most likely be covered in axle grease/oil. Timing belt and water pump would be another thing to make sure has been done, supposed to be done around every 90-100k or so. I did all of this on the 4runner i sold a while back, about 2k total to get it all done.

Comment

If the owner you are buying from can't prove the timing belt and water pump have been replaced that is the first thing you need to do.
                            I recently bought a 2004 Tundra that has 180,000 and replaced the belt and water pump and it cost me a grand, but it's worth the peace of mind.
                            If the belt goes say goodbye to the engine as all the valves will probably be bent, as well as other parts, and you can use the motor as a boat anchor.
                            Dumbest thing Toyota ever did was use a belt instead of a timing chain on the 4.7 V8 engine.
                            I'm too old an crippled to do any labor intensive work on a car, and there in lies the problem replacing those parts....Not that hard, just take your time, and do it right.
                            Last edited by Jimbo47; 08-21-2018, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Check out the front end carefully. I was riding with a family friend when a tie rod gave out on his 99 Tacoma. Laid the front passenger wheel flat on the road and we slid to a stop. Scary deal. I know that can happen to any vehicle with 200k plus miles. But it sure made me wary of clean, high mileage trucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X