Sitka gear question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitka gear question

I don't have any get and looking to get into the Sitka gear. For those of you that have it or have used it, what should I get for stand hunting in Texas. I looked today and saw a bunch of stuff, but I dont want to get the wrong stuff and be too hot or not warm enough when it gets cold. I looked at the Stratus pants and jacket, but also at the Mountain pant and the Traverse pant and jacket combo. Someone also mentioned the Fanatic series or the Fanantic Lite series. Someone lead me in the right direction and tell me what would be best for Texas and if I ever go to Colorado to hunt, but mainly stand hunting in Texas. Thanks for the help.

Go check out my recent sitka post, good info there!

Comment

Fanatic Lite stuff and room for layers and you'll be set! I have their Fanatic stuff and it was great for the really cold days but it wasnt as versatile as I would have liked. I also got the mountain pants and traverse hoodie for early season. Absolutely love their stuff. One thing I'd make sure of is that you try your sizing on somewhere is the exact items you want because their fit is pretty particular but amazing when you get it right.

Comment

You might wanna check out first lite... perfect clothing for stand hunting from October thru January.

Comment

I only have a few pieces... but I love the Fanatic Hoodie...with a light merino base layer underneath it's all I wore this season up until this past weekend when it was in the 20's... then I had to add layers. But I was comfortable in just the hoodie down into the 40's. it has some really nice features... hood that covers the head without interfering with your face, and a built in facemask that can be pulled up and down easily. and built in "mittens"... sleeves that can be pulled over your fingers. My next purchase may be the Fanatic Lite jacket for the colder days.

I also have the Ascent pants which are great for September Elk hunts and early season whitetail stand hunting, but too light for colder weather.

Comment

Mountain and traverse weren't meant for stand hunting. Go with their whitetail line.

Comment

Worth looking at- Mossy Oaks "break up infinity"- best Texas match you'll see.

Comment

Sitka is the new Yeti cooler of hunting clothing. I was surrounded by Sitka fanboys a couple of days ago (one of them borrowed my handwarmer), I was thinking about how many more shells I could buy with the money I was saving.

Comment

I'm a fan of the Dakota Hoodie

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                    Worth looking at- Mossy Oaks "break up infinity"- best Texas match you'll see.
                    That doesn’t even get close to matching anything in South or West Texas.
                    Look into Sitka Whitetail line. Subalpine pattern is really good. Incinerator bibs and jacket are their warmest but make a little noise from the Gore Tex waterproofing. Fanatic line is plenty warm and still whisper quiet.

KUIU also has some of their puffy jackets and base layers that work well but they don’t trailer to stand hunting. Verde and Verde2 work well.

Comment

I have Sitka Fanatic Bibs and Jacket and love it. I love the way fits and keeps me warm while hunting in the hill country. If it gets above 50 then I use my other gear though because you will start sweating.

I bought mine used over at archerytalk and saved a lot of money.

Comment

I have had a few pieces of the whitetail line for a few years and like it a lot. I have Core shirt and Equinox pants for early season, Stratus, vest, and jacket that I layer for even into late season. I was hunting in PA and OH before moving here, so single digits were common. Plus misc. gloves and hats. I like it much more than the UA I had before it, but was on the fence between this and First Lite. I like FL a lot too.

I have a combo of merino wool and Cabela's E.C.W.C.S polar fleece for base layers depending on the temps.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Now, does anyone have any recommendation on socks and gloves? My feet and hands are what gets cold the most and I can't seem to keep my toes warm, even with the Mr. Buddy heater in the blind. Maybe it is just me. What brand of socks and gloves are y'all using?

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                            Thanks for the info. Now, does anyone have any recommendation on socks and gloves? My feet and hands are what gets cold the most and I can't seem to keep my toes warm, even with the Mr. Buddy heater in the blind. Maybe it is just me. What brand of socks and gloves are y'all using?
                            Darn tough socks and muck boots and your feet will never be cold again.

I got the fanatic lite jacket and bibs. Its perfect for texas in my opinion. Jacket is good to freezing with a stiff wind without much under it. I tried on the Stratus stuff too but it seemed noisier to me, because of the windstopper, and my biggest concern was absolute silence for those ultra still hill country mornings.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post

I just found some under armour ones at academy, they’re about 3 times the thickness of my regular socks. Gunna try them out this weekend! I like wearing leather twisted x’s because my feet sweat in insulated rubber boots! Will update if they’re worth buying! On a glove note, I found some thinsulate gloves at Home Depot a few years back and they are the best gloves I’ve ever work, I think they are buckskin gloves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X