No announcement yet.

Chap Gun Hunt - New Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving keeping up with this thread. I cant imagine shooting a 118" deer out there on the first day, but to each his own I guess.

Comment

Wonder who shot what. I’ll try asking the staff later. Guy south of me said he had 33 years, or pts, before being drawn here. Don’t know when the point system started. Felt bad for him if that’s the truth. I drew management at 6pts and this hunt at 8pts.

Now if I could just see a buck walking while here. Still better than a day at work, so no complaints.

Edit: I say the above as I heard the guy below me shoot last night.
      Last edited by bdubb; 12-15-2020, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bdubb View Post
        Wonder who shot what. I’ll try asking the staff later. Guy south of me said he had 33 years, or pts, before being drawn here. Don’t know when the point system started. Felt bad for him if that’s the truth. I drew management at 6pts and this hunt at 8pts.

Now if I could just see a buck walking while here. Still better than a day at work, so no complaints.

Edit: I say the above as I heard the guy below me shoot last night.
        I think Brokeno that commented on this thread has that same amount of points or close to it (33). Congrats on drawing this hunt with 8! I will hit double digits next year. Im just praying I get drawn soon so my dad can experience the Chap.
        Last edited by solocam_aggie; 12-15-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
          I think Brokeno that commented on this thread has that same amount of points or close to it. Congrats on drawing this hunt with 8! I will hit double digits next year. Im just praying I get drawn soon so my dad can experience the Chap.
          My parents have 23 (dad) and 18 (mom) points for Exotic Only. Its crazy how they haven't been drawn yet.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
            Loving keeping up with this thread. I cant imagine shooting a 118" deer out there on the first day, but to each his own I guess.

Yeah I’m not gonna comment because I could “settle” later in the week. But knowing what is out here made passing those 2 “shooters” last night much easier.

All 4 in our our group saw legal 8 pointers last night. Probably 3.5 and 4.5 year old deer, somewhere between 14-15 inches wide. Maybe 120 inches. Something I probably wouldn’t have passed on my E Texas lease but got a pass here especially on the first night.

The deer I saw this morning was bigger bodied, wider by a couple inches and taller than the 8 I described above.

Well my wide deer just showed back up. Wish I had a decent camera. He is just confusing the crap out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well guys don’t judge me but I’m slowly talking myself into shooting this deer. Hope I don’t regret it later in the week. Just wish he had a little more mass and height.....

Comment

Good luck Winslow

I may not have any large animals out but I can’t hate this view with the sun rising.
                Last edited by bdubb; 09-08-2021, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
                  Well guys don’t judge me but I’m slowly talking myself into shooting this deer. Hope I don’t regret it later in the week. Just wish he had a little more mass and height.....

Dont get too wrapped up in aging him. If you like him, let the air out of him! Good luck.

Comment

I feel like if you’ve got enough thought to Sit and type about him, he’s not the deer you really wanna kill. It should be a deer that the first thing you grab is your rifle and lastly your phone. It already sounds like you’re not happy with him on the hoof, so do you wanna use your trophy on a deer you’re not happy with from the start?

I killed a 20 inch wide 10 point last year at the Chap. I was happy with it but definitely not a monster. I killed it on Tuesday of the hunt and saw big old bucks afterwards.
                    Last edited by BigRed323; 12-15-2020, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Yeah I’m not gonna comment because I could “settle” later in the week. But knowing what is out here made passing those 2 “shooters” last night much easier.

All 4 in our our group saw legal 8 pointers last night. Probably 3.5 and 4.5 year old deer, somewhere between 14-15 inches wide. Maybe 120 inches. Something I probably wouldn’t have passed on my E Texas lease but got a pass here especially on the first night.

The deer I saw this morning was bigger bodied, wider by a couple inches and taller than the 8 I described above.

Well my wide deer just showed back up. Wish I had a decent camera. He is just confusing the crap out of me.

In situations like this, better to just ground check them, lol. Good luck!

Comment

Shoot him! Shoot him!!!!! Lol I love this thread!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

BOOM!

Comment

I rolled him but he stumbled off the road. Hope he is laying right there.

Comment

If hes the biggest deer you ever shot then drop him. I hunted the jay pasture back in 2002. All the deer taken were about the size your describing. There was only one true trophy taken that week.

Comment

Hell yea

Comment

Working...
                                X