No announcement yet.

Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure was a nice cool morning being at Whitney this morning. I went down there to train my dog in the fields and the water at the dam. Shes ready to run an event October 2nd but going to work her hard til then.

Comment

Just a real quick question for the hunters. This year will be my first time going out On public land, and just trying to decide if it’s better to be in a tree or on the ground.

What tree stand Set up do you use?

Obviously it should be big, or heavy to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by Deafishunter View Post
        Just a real quick question for the hunters. This year will be my first time going out On public land, and just trying to decide if it’s better to be in a tree or on the ground.

What tree stand Set up do you use?

Obviously it should be big, or heavy to carry.
        I use a tree saddle. I cobbled mine together but there are some companies that make them. tethrd is one https://tethrdnation.com

Comment

Originally posted by AfghanVet View Post
          I use a tree saddle. I cobbled mine together but there are some companies that make them. tethrd is one https://tethrdnation.com
          That is sweet! Heard of people using those but never actually seen one. Would love to have one, but A little pricey for me at the moment.

Comment

About the only thing I don't have in my bag-o-tricks is a tree saddle of some sort. (I admire the fellers who are young enough and those in good enough shape who use them.)

I've got ladder stands with wheels that double as game carts, 5 pop-ups, carry in chairs of all sorts for when using a brush blind or pop-up, couple of different hang-on stands with some aluminum rapid rails, and a Lone Wolf Wide Sit-n-climb. And all kinds of blind cover gear (works in tree stands also, including the climber) so I don't have to cut any fresh vegetation. I can even use just the cover material as ground cover by it's self. I'm more of the mentality to match the place and conditions with the equipment. Also known as "Adapt, and over come". Granted, it has taken me a lifetime to accumulate it all. Some things were bought twice or three times from selling once or twice . Or upgrading.
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-11-2020, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Hope everbody been enjoying the weather. I'ma just glad it ain't a hunderd any more. Fishing should start picking back up with the cooler surface temps. Think all this rain pushed a lotta dove out. Been read-n reports of some teal in. Got my VST pump for my boat motor in a week or so ago. Might try to put it in tomorrow morning, between church services on-line. Then have an appointment with one of our retired pastors who has been appointed Pastor America by the UMC, at my mother's house.

Comment

And both PK and Grandbury are releasing water. W lake has been coming back up some.

Comment

PK is currently releasing 9,000 cfs of water. This will cause Grandbury to increase it's release rate. Grandbury's current release rate is 4,868 cfs. This will have an effect on the Brazos river above Whitney Lake. And the W lake level it's self. The W lake currently stands at 1.54 feet below normal. It has been coming up since all the recent rain started. I expect that with the current releases of both PK and Grandbury, and the predicted rain forecasting for the areas, the W lake will reach or exceed normal levels.

The A lake is currently at .15 feet below normal.

Comment

Glad that it is getting to be that time of year. For the new guys, that are thinking of getting started, i like to find a spot, but be able to move and adjust quickly as well.

I have a couple spots i have been corning for a couple months now. put a couple of cameras up to see what was coming in, usually don't put cameras up, but had some old ones that were somewhat sacrificial. well last week, the corp land folks made a sweep of my area, and left me a coupe of little laminated notes.

Seems to be more hogs than normal this year for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpolks-TR View Post
                      Glad that it is getting to be that time of year. For the new guys, that are thinking of getting started, i like to find a spot, but be able to move and adjust quickly as well.

I have a couple spots i have been corning for a couple months now. put a couple of cameras up to see what was coming in, usually don't put cameras up, but had some old ones that were somewhat sacrificial. well last week, the corp land folks made a sweep of my area, and left me a coupe of little laminated notes.

Seems to be more hogs than normal this year for whatever reason.
                      I am currently looking the areas. Looking to get my first public hunting done

I had done some scouting around lake Aquilla, very thick brush, hard to really move around the area. But did see some deer, tons of hog uprooting areas.

Comment

Went out scouting for places In Aquilla and Whitney for the first time.

Came to think about it, how are most of y’all able to get around this thick brush?
                        It’s crazy thick.

Comment

Thick is why the hogs like it . And not many people will hunt it when it's like that. If you look hard enough, you will find a spot in there somewhere. But being thick is why the critters like it. They can bed up in it. And not have to worry as much about people. I'd try going under it if you can't go around or over it. I've had to crawl into some places on my hands and knees before, to pull a hog out without knowing for sure it was dead. I just carry my SOG Dagget II on my chest just in case.

Had one buddy that hog hunts over there, wound one. And he went in after it. It came back at him. He shot it again with his bow hitting it again. It went on past him. Then turned around at him again. He went to kick it, missed, and hog hit his other leg knocking him down. He was fighting it off with his bow and trying to kick it while he was on the ground. It finally died. But he got his calf cut up pretty good. Had to get several stitches and some antibiotics.

Comment

But, there is some monster deer over there. Just ask erick1984. He'll tell ya all about them. He trys to deny it. But we rib each other when he's around.

Comment

PK has reduced it's water release rate to 530cfs at the moment. But Grandbury is still releasing a high volume rate of 8,126 cfs. If these two lakes don't get any more rain, then maybe they will cut the flow back and the W lake will steady out.

Right now, the W lake is .53 feet below normal and still coming up. And with at least another 2 days of inflow, it should top out a little over normal. Maybe even a foot or so. That is, if we don't get any more rain in the upper Brazos basin.

A lake is .19 feet below normal.

Comment

So this year I will be taking my wife and kids in the woods more. I told my wife I need to get a pop up for us. She got me a pop-up apartment complex(The thing is huge). So what is the best and fastest way to hide it from deer or pigs. I dont want to leave it out, so I will be putting it up when they go.

Comment

Working...
                                X