No announcement yet.

Barbed Wire Fence vs. Hog/Cattle Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tagging this. We need to put something up just to keep cows out this year, don't have pigs. Would really like something cheaper than panels

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      I’ve had barbed wire pens for 5 years now. I hunt on a lease with cattle. We don’t have Hogs. I have a 3 strand fence. 12” 24” and 36” off the ground. This has kept the cows out for me. I feed several thousand pounds annually of corn, protein, rice bran, and cottonseed without issues.
      Have you had any issues keeping the barbed wire tight? Or are you anchoring to something?

Comment

I have used barbed wire before and will again but only if you make real corners and such.

Comment

If you can use trees for corners or some other way you stretch it somewhat tight it will work fine. Ranchers use miles of it to keep them in. lol

Comment

following. dang horses are my nemesis. They've already got the lid off a 600# ASF stand and fill and eat as much corn as they can reach. Once the lid is off it's open to moisture, racoons etc. I put a ratchet strap around the lid and **** horses try to figure out how to undo that!

Comment

We have horses and cows. Panels has worked for us on the round pens. We tried a 3 strand barb wire fence around a protein feeder with staves. It kept the grown cows out, but we were feeding all the smaller livestock. It worked fine until it dried out and they figured out they could get in.

Comment

3 strand barbed wire using trees to stretch to at the corners has worked perfectly for 4 years now keeping cows out (no hogs on the property). One pen is 75' X 75' and another is 50' X 50'.

Comment

We used t-post and barb wire this year in Rocksprings. It kept all the cattle out no problem. 5 bucks a t-post and 40 bucks for the barbwire and a young teenager to build it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I use 2 strands of barbed wire with the top at about 36" and it keeps out the biggo angus cattle no problem. I've got trees for the most part as corner posts or just set a 5" wooden post if I can't get it to a tree. I have to retighten every couple of years just because the deer stretch the fence out going in and out. When I fill feeders I just back up and unclip the top wire so I can have my tailgate over into the pen. Makes loading feeders easy.

Comment

Originally posted by breeds13 View Post
                      Have you had any issues keeping the barbed wire tight? Or are you anchoring to something?

I just had to tighten my top strand a few weeks ago. Starting year 6 now. Other than that it’s worked just fine for me. If you don’t have Hogs it’s a waste of money to have hog panels. Barbed wire is way cheaper.

Comment

Comment

Net fence if you can't use panels. I personally wouldn't use barb wire

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            Net fence if you can't use panels. I personally wouldn't use barb wire

Why not? If you don’t have hogs what’s wrong with barbed wire? It’s been keeping cows where people want them for over 140 years.

Comment

I have a Bull kicking my ***! I have used cattle panels for years and now I have a Bull that jumps them. Gunna add electric wire to the top I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
                                Put a t post at every spot where 2 panels come together and then 1 in the middle of each panel. (2 would work better but 1 will suffice)
                                Same And I run a single strand of barbed wire along the top of the round panel pen
                                We hunt in a pasture of hungry cows with no problems. Except raccoons.

Comment

Working...
                                X