Annual Game Survey Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annual Game Survey Results

We got the results of the annual helicopter game survey done on the ranch last week.

Bucks - 40
    Does - 108
    Yearlings - 47
    Coyotes - 4
    Pigs - zero

They said we have 6 really nice trophy bucks, 10 big management bucks.

Looks we are doing good hammering on the yotes and pigs. Need to do some work on the does. Wish I knew what percentage of the animals they think they counted.

The wildlife biologist will use the data when he gives us our allotment of MLD tags next season.

Interesting, how big is the place the survey was done

Comment

Hat county?

Comment

What county?

Comment

Stonewall county.

Comment

Looks likes about 60 does need to turn into sausage

Comment

What have you found to be the most effective way to cut down on the yotes?

Comment

We hunted coyotes and pigs from helicopters this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
                  We got the results of the annual helicopter game survey done on the ranch last week.

Bucks - 40
                  Does - 108
                  Yearlings - 47
                  Coyotes - 4
                  Pigs - zero

They said we have 6 really nice trophy bucks, 10 big management bucks.

Looks we are doing good hammering on the yotes and pigs. Need to do some work on the does. Wish I knew what percentage of the animals they think they counted.

The wildlife biologist will use the data when he gives us our allotment of MLD tags next season.
                  Our biologist says we see probably 50% of deer on the best day. Of course we fly in September.

Comment

that's a phenomenal mature buck to buck ratio (40% +- ) if it really holds throughout your herd. Seems I remember that 10% mature bucks is about average.

Comment

Looks to me like you all really need to hammer some does as well as the yotes. Not sure if your county has a paid trapper but you might want to see if they do and then get in touch with him.

Comment

Super job. I bet this time of year you see most of the deer.
                        Great job on the pigs.
                        Next year sounds like management bucks and does
                        What ratio is your goal ?

No way I ever want less than 1:2. Too much fighting, broken horns and natural loss from injuries. Said the non biologist.

Comment

Just to respond to some of the sex ratio replies...

Sex ratio should never be a goal. That is, don't shoot doe for the sole purpose of manipulating sex ratios.

The goal of doe harvest is to limit future reproductive potential and thus population growth for the purpose of maintaining healthy and reproductive quality browse plants.

In a free range situation where doe harvest keeps the population below carrying capacity, AND buck harvest targets only older aged bucks, the sex ratio will naturally settle around 1 buck to 1.5 - 2 doe.

So a good sex ratio is not a goal to "shoot" for, rather, it's a byproduct of sound harvest management.

Comment

How big of a place is this?

Comment

Working...
                            X