No announcement yet.

Archery Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some other shots from the area. Plenty of black bears around, picked up a tag for the season that opened Sept 15. Had one through camp that checked out my privy.
    Had a small tornado go through part of the area this summer. Gives a whole new meaning to blow down.
    Attached Files

Comment

That's a great looking area. Might get lucky and get the bear in camp and not have to do any packing! lol

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
        Some views from elk camp. I'll start with 3 pics taken at 10:00 am on 3 consecutive days before and after our little storm. Then some elk country.
        Is the snow sticking around already or are the days warm enough still for it to completely melt?

Comment

Pretty much gone, maybe some in the shade.
          We go back up Friday and chance at rain maybe Saturday. We'll see what happens at altitude. Our lot and camp is at 8,900 ft.
          Been plenty warm lately, highs in upper 70's to 80's here in town.

Comment

Another camp pic you some of you may like. Cooler kept ice for 10 days, no complaints here.
            Attached Files

Comment

I posted this on the other thread in the OTC section but I'll add it here as well since this is the "official" public land archery elk thread.

New Mexico over a water hole. Shot at 25 yards, barely made it 30 and he crashed.

Already starting the planning process for next year
              Attached Files

Comment

eating tag soup.
                Just got home this morning after a week in the San Juans with a bull tag.
                a few inches of snow the first day led me to slip and injure my ankle. Heard only 3 bugles, (1 within about 100 yards but he booked.) saw one 4x? bull with his left side broken off but he was hung up at 65 yards behind a bush so I couldn't get a shot before he took off. dude was SILENT but curious about my cow calls. Saw my first, then second bears. 3 Mule deer bucks hung out nearly fearless at 45 yards for about 10 min one night. Called a cow elk into about 5 yards then she drifted into our wind and booked.

Overall a great trip minus the badly sprained ankle I suffered on day one, but I still hoofed about 45 miles and 200 stories in elevation in the 5 days after because I only get one trip every other year so pain had to take a backseat to grit.

Can't wait for 2022 now that I have the knowledge of my area in September now.

Comment

Nice spike Moose ! He'll taste great.
                  MRWHITE I hope your ankle gets better asap. Aprained both of mine about 1 1/2 months ago and still have issues.
                  Bugling has been scarce up this way and down into Colorado. Hoping for the spouse's sake it picks up this weekend.
                  My cow season is now open so hoping for a chance at one with my longbow.
                  Spouse has weekends and then last full week in Sept to try and get it done for his bull tag, and my cow tag. Then off to rifle hunting for cows on private, we can get up to 2 cow tags with our private access in addition to any bull tags. I have a general license to try and fill also.

Good luck all last half of archery season !

Comment

Good luck Yall. I'll be joining the hunt next year, as I found a good spot scouting Labor Day this year.

Comment

If anyone has a Montana general tag and wants to partner up let me know. I’m headed up there next Friday hunting SW Montana

Comment

Bumping this back to the top. Getting buried under the public deer threads

Any hunt reports or updates from the last week? Heard one TBH'er killed a big bull in NM a couple days ago.

Comment

We’ve been in Wyoming hunting for a week and a half. I’ve had a few close calls, but no kills yet.

The blow down here is ugly AF!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What part of the state are you in Army ?

Activity has picked up. Try raking a tree instead of bugling or cow calls if you get close enough.
                            Spouse went back up today and I'll go back for last 4 days this weekend.
                            A huge part of the Snowies is closed due to Mullen Fire. Hasn't crossed the highway yet into our area though.

Comment

Activity has picked up. Try raking a tree instead of bugling or cow calls if you get close enough.
                              A huge part of the Snowies is closed due to Mullen Fire. Hasn't crossed the highway yet into our area though.
                              Wytex do you mind if I PM you, I've been planning on coming back up to medicine bow in a few weeks for general rifle and could use your insight about the fire and the weather as it gets closer.

Comment

We’re over in Medicine Bow NF near Encampment. I guess we will avoid driving through the Snowies on the way out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X