Christmas Toy Drive - Fourth Ward Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Toy Drive - Fourth Ward Houston

Christmas is once again upon us. For the past several years, I’ve been involved in a grass roots Christmas toy drive in Houston’s Fourth Ward at the Rose of Sharon church where we distribute gifts to the neighborhood kids. It’s a wonderful event, and sometimes I think the parents are more touched than the kids. This year’s toy drive will take place next week on Friday, December 20th at 2:00 PM at the Rose of Sharon Baptist Church (1106 Valentine).

Since these gifts may be one of the only gifts these kids receive for Christmas, we would love to “go big” with donating the most coveted toys such as bikes alongside all the other toys. Last year’s event was a huge success thanks to your overwhelming generosity. Together we raised $8,844. Additionally, several people donated toys and bikes. With these funds we were able to provide:

• 50 bikes. We received a 15% discount at Academy which really helped us stretch our funds. Additionally, 14 bikes were donated for a total of 64.
    • 59 bike tire pumps
    • 6 tricycles
    • 238 really cool toys
    • 22 articles of baby clothing
    • 16 pieces of silver jewelry
    • 50 Dominos pizzas
    • Plenty of snacks and beverages
    • A face painter and balloon twister
    • We passed out “lucky” $2 bills to the kids

I have been blessed to know so many generous people and know that we all support various causes, yet have limited resources. If you’re able, please consider making a donation, either through the GoFundMe link below, check or cash. If you would like your donation to be tax deductible, you may make the check payable to Rose of Sharon Missionary Baptist Church. Any excess funds from this event will be donated to the church. Alternatively, if you would like to donate a gift, that would be just as great. Even if you are unable to donate, please consider sharing this with your network. If you wish to donate, the deadlines for collections are outlined below:

Monetary Donations – Tomorrow, Friday, December 13th. GoFundMe link: https://www.gofundme.com/f/houston03...toy-drive-2019
    Unwrapped Gift – Next Monday, December 16th. Please note the age range and gender on the gift.
    Wrapped Gift – Next Wednesday, December 18th. Please note the age range and gender on the gift.

Toy donations may be delivered to my office at 1300 Post Oak Blvd, STE 1650, or (if wrapped) may be taken directly to the church on Friday morning if you prefer. For those of you that would like to deliver directly to the church or help with gift distribution or gift wrapping, please let me know so that we can coordinate. As always, please feel free to swing by the event and bring your kids.

Thank you and many blessings.

A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed. Proverbs 11:25

DERICK CRAIG
    Attached Files

Thanks for all you do!

Shoulda had the police do it, so some could see police are not all bad

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      Thanks for all you do!

Shoulda had the police do it, so some could see police are not all bad
      Our boys in blue were out there socializing with the kids... it was great. Planning on having them come back out.

Comment

ttt

Comment

Anyone know someone at HFD Office of Public Affairs? Station #8 came out to the toy drive last year and was a huge hit! I stopped by yesterday to tell them about this year's toy drive (same way I did it last year). The captain told me it shouldn't be a problem but to go thru their office of public affairs. No one answers the phone or returns my calls. I sent an email but they replied that I need to book 4 weeks in advance.

Comment

This is a good thing you having going on. May you and others be blessed many times over for these gestures of kindness.

Comment

Thank you. I consider myself very blessed to have the opportunity to help.

Comment

Bump

Comment

bump

Comment

Toy drive is today! We have over 400 top tier toys, around 75 bikes and trikes, and 25 gaming consoles. Please let me know if you’d like to help set up or swing by (even with your kids.) It will be a great event!

Comment

Working...
                    X