Rifle Kill - biggest buck ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle Kill - biggest buck ever

Shot this 10 point with kickers on my Grandads / family place up at the paloduro canyon. Scored 141 6/8" which is my biggest buck ever. Wish it was a bow but with how it unfolded and being my first buck off my grandfather's ranch I've hunted for 10+ years it will be a lifetime memory. South of Claude, Armstrong county.

How it went down (tried to keep short but no chance). Bow hunting a stand on canyon rim, no luck as cows had posted up. Have pins around feeder but they sat there just staring. As time went by I started getting email pics of two 8 pts we have been after this season at another set up about 800 yds east of me, decided to wait a bit longer before I bailed to go try and rifle one of those 8s... after 30 min or so a buck caught my eye across canyon, only way he caught my eye was cus he was silhouetted 250 yds away in front of a cedar tree, see below bino pic. knowing there was little chance I could get to truck for rifle I just watched him... 15 min go by and he hasn't moved, so I thought to my self WTH ill give it a shot. run back to my truck grab rifle run back to canyon (man I am out of shape). Sure enough he was still standing there on the canyon finger. Couldn't believe it!

At this point I am about 250 from him and wanted to get to 100, shooting 300 blk out with subs not the best round for long distance. with a mixture of crawling, jolting behind cedar trees, and hitting the deck I got to 100 yds. Now it all made since he had a doe cornered on the canyon finger, that is why he waited around for me! snugged into a cedar tree where I found a solid rest, he was now walking away from me, gave him the doe bleat yell he turned quartered away and I squeezed one off. Hammered him!! I knew I hit him good by the way he buckled and ran but with this caliber I wanted to give him time went back to truck then to bow blind and packed up everything.

Now it had gotten close to dark, decided to check road for blood thinking it would be my best bet for quick eyes on trail. ended up spotting him bedded down 15 yards off road still head up. backed off waited 30 min returned with rifle, he had expired, ran about 45 yds total. Thanked the lord and retrieved my kill, huge bodied N. TX buck had massive backstraps, what a great memorable hunt still amazed it all came together.

The below google earth pic shows where I first saw him at 250 yds through binos (blue line) yellow line is my 500 yd route back to truck to get 300blk rifle and back to canyon/stalking within 100 yds red line is the 100 yd kill shot. total yds traveled on foot, crawling, belly crawling etc. was 600 yds.

Hope you enjoyed hopefully pics turn out, if sideways someone please help me thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TexasTealHunter; 11-22-2019, 04:20 PM.

Very nice!

Comment

Nice one!

Comment

Crazy but fun

Comment

Forgot to mention this buck was pictured on the opposite side of the ranch that morning... so he was moving!

Comment

Goodern

Comment

Nice

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

cool !

Comment

That’s fun! Congratulations on a good good buck!

Comment

Nice buck. Congrats!!!

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Great deer.. Good work getting him..

Comment

Nice buck and good write up. Congrats sir...well done.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Dang nice deer. Congratulations!

Comment

Working...
                              X