Out of curiosity; Kill Vs. Harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of curiosity; Kill Vs. Harvest

Just curious as to why people choose to say the word "harvest" in relations to killing an animal when the word harvest in the dictionary is defined as the season for gathering agricultural crops. I am in no way casting stones at anyone that says harvest, just curious as to why. As for me I say kill not harvest but when watching these new hunting shows their phrases have a tedency to rub off on me.

Smoke.

Comment

Yep....Smoked Em!

Harvest vegetables.

Comment

Its dumb if you ask me!! Attempt at PC!

You harvest corn! You kill animals. My .02cents I will not dog anyone for saying it I just think it is dumb.

Comment

It's a kill, I harvest my tomatoes. All part of being "sensitive" to others' feelings.

Comment

Because the word kill offends people. Harvest makes stupid people think the animal was raised or is there for one reason..to become food, like a crop.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckhead78 View Post
              Just curious as to why people choose to say the word "harvest" in relations to killing an animal when the word harvest in the dictionary is defined as the season for gathering agricultural crops. I am in no way casting stones at anyone that says harvest, just curious as to why. As for me I say kill not harvest but when watching these new hunting shows their phrases have a tedency to rub off on me.
              Stay strong! Either that or stop watching hunting shows. "Harvest" is for millennials or wormy men (or fur-lined underwear women) who are too limp-wristed to tell their non-hunting friends that they are cold-blooded killers. Might as well tell folks they "caught" a deer/pig/squirrel etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
                Its dumb if you ask me!! Attempt at PC!

You harvest corn! You kill animals. My .02cents I will not dog anyone for saying it I just think it is dumb.

I agree with you even though Merrium Webster does not.

Definition of harvest (Entry 2 of 2)

transitive verb
                1a : to gather in (a crop) : reap harvesting corn
                b : to gather, catch, hunt, or kill (salmon, oysters, deer, etc.) for human use, sport, or population control
                c : to remove or extract (something, such as living cells, tissues, or organs) from culture (see culture entry 1 sense 3) or from a living or recently deceased body especially for transplanting

2a : to accumulate a store of has now harvested this new generation's scholarly labors— M. J. Wiener
                b : to win by achievement the team harvested several awards

Comment

I think saying "Harvest" is a way of giving in to the animal rights lobby and placating their sensitivities. I say "kill" because that's what you're doing. Killing is what's necessary to get the meat in the table. I do not say "Harvest Shot" when referring to an accurately place shot that puts the animal down. I heard that the other day on a YouTube video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post

transitive verb
                    b : to gather, catch, hunt, or kill (salmon, oysters, deer, etc.) for human use, sport, or population control
                    c : to remove or extract (something, such as living cells, tissues, or organs) from culture (see culture entry 1 sense 3) or from a living or recently deceased body especially for transplanting

2a : to accumulate a store of has now harvested this new generation's scholarly labors— M. J. Wiener
                    MW is a pole smoker then!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post

transitive verb

Personally I "take" a deer or pig.

Comment

Comment

Last season my daughter and I were on a TYHP hunt. The huntmaster made it clear that we don't "kill" deer we "Harvest" deer. He said, "I don't want to hear the word kill all weekend." "It's harvest." I told I'm in front of everyone that "I only brought a rifle and not a tractor so I'm not sure what we are going to do." A few people laughed, he didn't.

Comment

Because in the English language, there are words that can have multiple meanings.

Did you “fly” to Hawaii? I thought a “fly” was a bug.

There are other words that only have one meaning. Mom, why is that hillbilly so “uneducated?”

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                              Because in the English language, there are words that can have multiple meanings.

Did you “fly” to Hawaii? I thought a “fly” was a bug.

There are other words that only have one meaning. Mom, why is that hillbilly so “uneducated?”
                              Well said Sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X