280ai vs 6.5 PRC performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

280ai vs 6.5 PRC performance

Debating between building a 280ai or 6.5PRC. I reload so factory ammo availability is non issue. Will be 24” barrel with either. What are the pros and cons of each performance wise. In custom rifles I already have a 308 and 28 Nosler so looking for something that will fall between those 2.

Dang it, wrong forum. Mods can you please move this to the other side of ranch.

Comment

I don’t know how they compare, but since you already have a 7mm platform, might as well try out something in 6.5. The PRC has definitely caught my eye for my next rifle.

Comment

Prc for a heavy long dis rifle used it in elr matches and elk hunts. So my 2 is for prc

Comment

Since you’re loading, 280ai wot be that far off from the 28 Nosler. With only those 2 choices, I’d go with the PRC and it isn’t close.

Comment

I have a custom 280 AI, had it built in 1987, it will cut a ragged hole with 5 shots at 100 yards, I have a new favorite gun now, custom 6.5 x 47 Lapua, what a sweet rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayspr View Post
              Since you’re loading, 280ai wot be that far off from the 28 Nosler. With only those 2 choices, I’d go with the PRC and it isn’t close.

280AI on a good day will almost get to 7mag. 28 Nosler will be way ahead of that. I have a buddy shooting 3030fps with 195 grain Bergers in his 28 Nosler. 280AI won’t even sniff that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                280AI on a good day will almost get to 7mag. 28 Nosler will be way ahead of that. I have a buddy shooting 3030fps with 195 grain Bergers in his 28 Nosler. 280AI won’t even sniff that.

Yes sir, what you said.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Ive seen some 28” tubes pushed hard with a 195 knocking on 3200s door.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                    Ive seen some 28” tubes pushed hard with a 195 knocking on 3200s door.

There may be a couple getting this but it is an unrealistic expectation.

I’m a huge 280AI fan but given your current rifles I would go PRC.

Comment

I love my 280 AI, but if you already have a 28 Nosler, I’d go with the PRC.

Comment

Both will be close to each other. Your 28 nosler is quite a step up from the 280 AI. So that has you covered if you want to be in the 168 gr plus sized bullets. I'd go PRC. Both will have good factory ammo options if needed but the prc will probably be cheaper.

And I'm guessing it's here to stay since it has hornady pushing it. They do such a **** good job marketing and keeping cartridges alive and thriving.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          There may be a couple getting this but it is an unrealistic expectation.

I’m a huge 280AI fan but given your current rifles I would go PRC.
                          The point was 3030 with a 195 isn’t hard to achieve.

Comment

Working...
                          X