No announcement yet.

AR counties can sure suck sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We just bought a place this summer. So far I got four ten points on cameras and a nice looking 8 point. But when they are looking at the camera, I don't think any of them have antlers outside their ears. I think most of them are 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 years old. But one of them is probably 6 1/2 years old. Seems to be a genetic thing for the local deer to grow narrow racks. Then we have a bunch of young bucks with forked tines or small five to seven point racks. I have one buck on camera, that has a rack that is definitely wider than his ears, but he only has one side, the othe antler is broken off. On the one side he does have, I think he only has three tines, he may only have two tines.

Comment

Antler restrictions work. They are set in place to promote a better age structure for the bucks in the herd. Mature bucks very rarely, and I would argue are an exception to the rule, have spreads less than 13”s. In my opinion, there are far more bucks that are mature and have a spread over 13”s that score 130 or less and don’t get killed vs the mature bucks that are 13”s or less and can’t get killed. 13”s or less in a mature buck is extremely rare.

That being said, there is a different argument to make about the state dictating what hunters can kill. But there is no arguing that antler restrictions have benefited overall antler size of harvested bucks

Comment

I should have added in my post, that if you don’t like the antler restrictions of the state, join an MLD lease that allows you to shoot whatever you want

Comment

antler restrictions were needed in east Texas due to proximity to large population centers. way too many hunters shooting way too many bucks, they didn't stand a chance. Now they have that chance.

however, AR would be a disaster west of I-35. there are more deer than people in a lot of those counties and there would be an over-population issue if they had to follow the 13 inch rule. I have more than 2 bucks to every doe and most of them are in the 2-3 year range. i have personally sat over the summer and counted 10 bucks in a 2 acre food plot. 2 were mature. 3 were spikes and forks and 5 were small 8's

Comment

Holy smokes!!!! Crazy action on thread! First picture I saw roman nose and thought of my most recent deer in panhandle, and it was 15" inside. I'd put in $100 if he didn't clear 13....mature deer, big body, not a trophy 1.5 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              The problem is that many will never make 3.5 without AR's....
              AR's are the best thing to happen for deer and deer hunting for the state of Texas in a very long time... Possibly ever.. I wish all counties had AR's..
              So explain to me, how I am supposed to legally kill deer to fill the freezer, when there are something like 24 bucks in the area, all have forked antlers and I am pretty sure they all are under 13 or just barely over, to the point, it would be risky to shoot one. Then we can't shoot doe in the county I am in, but the area is overrun with deer. Right now, I am not a fan of the antler restriction. I think put a one deer limit on them in our county would be a better idea. I think we have around 9 doe maybe 11 doe and fawns that come on to our property, but can't shoot those and can't shoot any of the 24 or so bucks. There may be one or two that will go over, but then they might not. I want meat for the freezer, not to make a taxidermist wealthy.

Comment

This is one of our better bucks, he's probably 3 1/2, would be my guess, possibly a year older.
                Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 01-20-2019, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Same deer from the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                    Sorry man, Ain’t no way he’s 13+!
                    I feel your pain, I have several like that
                    Our lease has a number of under 13" that are mature and tall.
                    I feel your pain also!!

Comment

This is the biggest buck that comes onto our property. First time I saw these pictures I got excited.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        So explain to me, how I am supposed to legally kill deer to fill the freezer, when there are something like 24 bucks in the area, all have forked antlers and I am pretty sure they all are under 13 or just barely over, to the point, it would be risky to shoot one. Then we can't shoot doe in the county I am in, but the area is overrun with deer. Right now, I am not a fan of the antler restriction. I think put a one deer limit on them in our county would be a better idea. I think we have around 9 doe maybe 11 doe and fawns that come on to our property, but can't shoot those and can't shoot any of the 24 or so bucks. There may be one or two that will go over, but then they might not. I want meat for the freezer, not to make a taxidermist wealthy.
                        Cant help you on that one but allowing a whole bunch of young bucks to be killed is not the answer and that's exactly what was happening before AR's.. Having a few narrow, illegal, mature bucks running around is much better for the entire herd, as a whole, than allowing the slaughter of 2-3 year old 6 and 8 points year in and year out.. I'm old enough and have hunting long enough to have seen the effects of both sides of this dilemma..
                        AR's should be state wide IMO..

It sounds like your buck/doe ratio is way off which is interesting since you cant shoot doe..

Comment

But then when you see these pictures, you realize the buck is not as big as you would guess from the side profile.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                            This is the biggest buck that comes onto our property. First time I saw these pictures I got excited.
                            He looks like a 5 year old to me.

Comment

I think a lot of these deer could be covered and still maintain the precious herd health by adding one more factor to the requirement language in the law: "or having a minimum of 8 scorable points."

Discuss....

Comment

Yea, that's about what I was thinking on that one. Both are mature, not sure about the first one he in some ways looks like he might be older, but not really sure. But the second one, has to be around 5. There are multiple 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year old deer, that may someday make it to 15" to 17".

Comment

Working...
                                X