Cool Potato Box: Gardening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool Potato Box: Gardening

Totally building one of these tomorrow. would be a good use for a couple pallets I have laying around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1586265080046.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	25208926

I have two going right now. Yukon gold and red Pontiacs. They just started to come up. The kids love it. They have been checking them about ten times a day. I will try to remember a picture tomorrow.

Comment

That's neat. Will have to give it a try.

Comment

Tagged!

Comment

I have done this the last two years and haven't got a single potato. This year the potato plants seem to be doing way better boxes nearly full of dirt. We will see. If I don't get any this year I am done with this method.

Comment

Easy enough...

I deviated from the plan a bit and used 1x6 treated slats. They were handy and 2x6 just seemed to be overkill. The uprights are split pallet runners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TaterBox.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	24613608

Comment

Texan I am curious are you using grocery store potatoes for your seed or are you using seed potatoes

Comment

I'll be planting locally sourced seed potatoes from local nursery.

Comment

The irony.

My neighbor just told me of something similar but using old tires instead.

Start with one tire. Once they grow up a little, add another tire until about 4 tires y’all. Then kick it over and you have a bunch of potatoes.

Comment

I need to try this have some old decking I just tore off that would be perfect. I've been using five gallon buckets and having pretty good results.

Comment

How do you get the potatoes out? I saw something similar to this the other day on youtube but the guy used large plastic pots and would dump them out when it was time to harvest.

EDIT... I guess I should have read the directions.
                      Last edited by Chad74; 04-09-2020, 02:46 PM. Reason: I'm a dumbarse

Comment

Here are mine. Just sprouting.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                          Texan I am curious are you using grocery store potatoes for your seed or are you using seed potatoes
                          Using seed potatoes. The lady at the local garden center says when you cut the potato put them in a paper bag for a few days to let the cut part of the potato to heal are harden. Last two years plants grew like crazy just no potatoes. Here is what mine look like this year.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JFISHER View Post
                            Easy enough...

I deviated from the plan a bit and used 1x6 treated slats. They were handy and 2x6 just seemed to be overkill. The uprights are split pallet runners.

[ATTACH]998944[/ATTACH]
                            Are you not worried about the treated lumber leaching into your potatoes?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I grew a box a few years ago and it only had 4 potatoes in it. I was going to try again and hope hope better results.

Comment

Working...
                              X