Sous vide duck with berry sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide duck with berry sauce

I tried something for supper with some duck breasts from the other day. It turned out great, so I thought I'd share it so I'd have it written down on how I did it. I want to do it again.

I had a dozen breasts (skinless). I brined them for about 4 days, and then froze them until I was ready to cook them. Zach and his wife came over this evening, so today was the day. I thawed them out this morning. I dried them well and rubbed a light coat of avocado oil on them, then rubbed them with sea salt, blacknl pepper, chile powder and mesquite shake. Vacuum packed them and left in the fridge.

I got home from work early at 4 and dropped the bags of duck into a sous vide pot and set it at 134 degrees. Cooked them for about 2 hours, and then seared them on the grill outside for 3 minutes per side at 650 degrees.

While the sous vide was going, I made a sauce for the duck. Combined 1 cup red wine (cab) and 1/4 cup red wine vinegar and lightly boiled until reduced by half. Then added 1 cup of chicken broth and lightly boiled until reduced by half. Then I dumped in about 2 cups total of pureed berries (blackberries, raspberries, and blue berries) along with 1/3 cup of monk fruit brown sugar (I'm doing keto, so no real sugar). Simmered that for a few minutes and then added about 1/4 stick of butter and melted that into the sauce.

Grilled some zucchini as well, and slice some avocado (seasoned with salt, chile powder and lime juice).

After pulling the duck off the grill and resting it for 5 minutes, we sliced it thin and drizzled the berry sauce over it. I was nearly done eating before I thought to slow down and take a pic. It was pretty dang good.

Only thing I bbn plan to do different next time is to squeeze a little orange juice into the berry sauce. I think that would be killer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Shane; 01-29-2020, 07:55 PM.

Thanks Shane

Looks awesome. Plan to give it a try as I am rather new to sous vide use.

Perfect med rare duck - mouth watering

Comment

Shane, that sounds delicious and looks great too!!
      When you sous vide something like this that can be a bit on the tough side, if you let it "cook" at the same temperature for a longer time, does it also tenderize the meat too? I love road duck medium rare with a black cherry wine sauce or Duck a' la 'range!!

Y'all got me on the other Sous Vide thread... Trouble is, I'm gonna have to get two! Half my family like medium well and the other half likes very rare steaks and such... If I'm to get the all done at the same time I'll need 2 machines!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        Shane, that sounds delicious and looks great too!!
        When you sous vide something like this that can be a bit on the tough side, if you let it "cook" at the same temperature for a longer time, does it also tenderize the meat too? I love road duck medium rare with a black cherry wine sauce or Duck a' la 'range!!
        Yes, the longer you cook it, the more the muscle fibers break down. This duck tonight was cooked for 2 hours. It was really tender. If you cook meat too long, it gets mushy (time varies with different types and cuts of meat).

I like to cook venison 3-4 hours at 128 degrees before searing on the HOT grill or HOT cast iron skillet. I did the duck at 134. I didn't want it too rare, and I knew that it would be tender after a couple hours in the sous vide, so I wasn't concerned about it getting tough if not left more rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          Yes, the longer you cook it, the more the muscle fibers break down. This duck tonight was cooked for 2 hours. It was really tender. If you cook meat too long, it gets mushy (time varies with different types and cuts of meat).

I like to cook venison 3-4 hours at 128 degrees before searing on the HOT grill or HOT cast iron skillet. I did the duck at 134. I didn't want it too rare, and I knew that it would be tender after a couple hours in the sous vide, so I wasn't concerned about it getting tough if not left more rare.

Thanks Shane! Looking back at my post, I must admit, I don't have a clue what "road" duck is! I'm thinking I meant roast!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            Thanks Shane! Looking back at my post, I must admit, I don't have a clue what "road" duck is! I'm thinking I meant roast!
            I just figured you were out hunting ducks on your "long lease".

Comment

I'm hungry now

Comment

Thanks for the recipe...................sounds great!

Comment

Oh, I forgot to add one thing.... When I was done with the berry sauce, it was still watery. So I added about 1/2 a teaspoon of xanthan gum to thicken it up. Worked great.

Comment

This is real close to the way my wife cooked some wood ducks the other day (aside from the hot water) Blackberries and red wine reduction. Brazed the skin on breasts in a hot skillet with duck fat.

Amazing

Comment

I'd duck down and get some of that berry sauce!

Comment

Looks great.

I’ve been roasting probably 2 ducks and a goose every week & I’m not even starting to get tired of it! I’ll pluck a couple every morning that I have time to build up my stockpile.

I leave the skin and fat on mine (when I’m not in a hurry) as well for grilling or pan searing.

Comment

looks like a winner winner duck breast dinner

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                            Looks great.

I’ve been roasting probably 2 ducks and a goose every week & I’m not even starting to get tired of it! I’ll pluck a couple every morning that I have time to build up my stockpile.

I leave the skin and fat on mine (when I’m not in a hurry) as well for grilling or pan searing.

That's the best way to do it! We used to pick all our ducks, then singe them over a burner on the kitchen stove... stunk up the house somethin' aweful, but Duck Dressin' is hard to beat!! Cajun pot roast duck is real good too when the ducks are whole so you get all the flavor from the fat and skin!!

Comment

Working...
                            X