Nameplate for son’s workbench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nameplate for son’s workbench

Cut this out with my torch this morning. Didn’t come out as good as I hoped but it’s probably as good as I should have expected given my extreme lack of experience. Gonna clean it up and let him weld it on to his bench himself.

One thing I haven’t figured out is what to do when the metal and makes a mess. I can’t get a clean cut after that happens. Happened on the C, 2, and 8. Seems like the metal changes and doesn’t take the heat the same way. Always have to start from a different direct and cut back into the mess. I think for this project I should have used a smaller tip. I’ll go get a 00 like Hogslayer78 suggested to me and maybe try some more practice.

Still learning little by little. A torch is intimidating before I get started but once I get going it’s a very simple tool that does some pretty cool stuff pretty easy.

Living the dream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are many factors being able to make quality cuts with a oxy/acetylene torch.

Practice on scrap pieces.

Where to start.... Using the correct size tip(perferably clean too)and correct pressures help as well as correct flame and speed of travel. Steadiness is needed and important.... your cut is s reflection of your hand movements. If that’s gauge material you could get by with a 00 or 000 tip. Those are just a few pointers of the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
        There are many factors being able to make quality cuts with a oxy/acetylene torch.

Practice on scrap pieces.

Where to start.... Using the correct size tip(perferably clean too)and correct pressures help as well as correct flame and speed of travel. Steadiness is needed and important.... your cut is s reflection of your hand movements. If that’s gauge material you could get by with a 00 or 000 tip. Those are just a few pointers of the top of my head.

Thanks for the help. It’s a size 1 tip. Stock was 3/16” plate. For cutting straight lines I do ok, since I clamp down a section of 2” angle to use as a guide and straightedge. This was my first attempt freehanding. I was surprised at how every slight wiggle shows up in the cut. I enjoy using the torch, very unique tool.

Comment

Dude that came nice it’s the man and reason behind the project that makes all the difference...keep going brother

Comment

Working...
          X