Practice distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practice distance

I will shoot all the way out to 30 yards but I'm comfortable taking an animal at about 15 yards. I normally practice at 15-17 yards....I'll shoot often at 20 but groups open up at that distance.

What distance do most of you guys practice at?

I practice all my pins and everything in between 20-60.

I try and shot at least two arrows everyday during season, usually at 30 yards.

Comment

I practice all my pins and everything in between 20-60

Think "traditional forum"

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      Last edited by DRT; 10-10-2021, 06:23 PM.

Comment

This time of year it's mostly 12 to 15 yards sitting. Yes I'll practice some 16 to 20 standing for those spot and stalk pig opportunities. But that's once or twice a week.
        Right now with the shoulder hurting again it's only a few arrows but at least five days a week.

Comment

From Mar - Aug, I practice from 5-40yds for all the 3D shoots. From Sept - Feb 99% of my practice is sitting in a chair at 10-15yds because that is what 99% of my hunting shots are.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            I practice all my pins and everything in between 20-60

Think "traditional forum"

Ha, missed the forum it was posted in. I’ll try again.

When I practice with my recurve most shots are at 15. I like to send a few at 25-30 just for kicks, and am happy to consistently hit the target at that range.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
              I will shoot all the way out to 30 yards but I'm comfortable taking an animal at about 15 yards. I normally practice at 15-17 yards....I'll shoot often at 20 but groups open up at that distance.

What distance do most of you guys practice at?
              Your distances are pretty close to the ones I shoot from. Also, I throw in few at what the late Jim Hamm called “wolf close” 10 yard distance just because every now and then that might happen.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                Your distances are pretty close to the ones I shoot from. Also, I throw in few at what the late Jim Hamm called “wolf close” 10 yard distance just because every now and then that might happen.

10yds happens way more often then every now and then!!!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I usually practice 3 times a week at 20. I try to get to a longer range at least every other week to practice to 80. I mix it up when practicing at 20. 1 knee, 2 knees holding for 50 count and so on.

Comment

10 to 15 paces. That's about where I'll shoot at deer. They much further I'll let em walk.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys sounds like I’m doing what most of you are doing.

I’ll Hail Mary some 30 yarders for kicks but I normally practice on a stool at 15-17 yards.

Comment

I did shoot a pig at 17 yards. But the vast majority have been under 15. I hand corn at 12.

Comment

Best practice in my opinion is: Know your max distance, and do walk up shots from point blank in about 5 yard increments all the way back to it, and back up again.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                            Best practice in my opinion is: Know your max distance, and do walk up shots from point blank in about 5 yard increments all the way back to it, and back up again.

Rick
                            I’ve done some of this. It’s good advice

Comment

I like to shoot a lot at further distances because it helps me diagnose small errors. A 1"-2" miss at 10 yards feels okay. But at 20, that 1" miss turns into 2", and the 2" miss into 4". I practice my gaps from 5-40 yards when I can get out to the 3D course, but 60-70% of my practice is as far as I can get in my home range, 20 yards. I'll usually shoot a few from random ranges to remember my gaps, and then I'm usually working on some part of my shot at max range.

Comment

Working...
                              X