Buffalo gnats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffalo gnats

The first time we learned what those little things can do to a person’s face was out on Richland Chambers Reservoir. Thankfully I heeded the warning and found some Skin So Soft to apply. That kept them off but others in our fishing club didn’t put anything on and they got swarmed by the nasty little buggers.

When I lived nearly up against the Red River, I experienced those gnats in a different way. They are relentless and will constantly try to chew on you. We used Absorbine Jr(roll on), the original Absorbine for horses, and a couple brands of spray-on bug repellent. When you have a job that requires sweating out in the heat, whatever product you apply on your skin to keep the gnats off won’t work very long. During the warmer times of the year I always had pimple type places caused by those nasty Buffalo gnats. You had to constantly reapply any type bug repellent on your skin throughout the day. It was a constant battle to keep the gnats and deer ticks off.

Anyone else ever experienced Buffalo gnats like that?
    Last edited by Katsaregood; 09-15-2021, 07:30 AM.

I have, Use the 100% Deet.

Comment

Hell yeah ! When I was contracting we built a drill site near Big Brown close to Fairfield and they ate us up until someone told me about Skin So Soft. We mixed it 50/50 with water and put it in a spray bottle. The operators just misted it on anytime they felt the need. Every time I went to the job I came away with a couple knots on my head until I figured out that they were getting under my cap through the hole in the back.

Comment

I’ve to experience them now that we have are place near the Red. They are much worse than mosquitoes. Local guy recommended the Absorbine Jr as well as vanilla extract to help. It definitely helps. They are relentless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We always use Skin so Soft, Vanilla Extract, or Fly Spray for horses when they get bad it can be

Comment

Buffalo gnats have always been an issue here around Fairfield and yes, they will wear your azz out. 20x worse than mosquitos. Skin so Soft is the go to for most folks, and it works well. Several fellas I know will wipe a dab of diesel behind their ears and they say it works......

Comment

Experienced them when we lived outside of Palestine. Can't stand them things. That year was Really Bad and a lot of cattle and horses died from them
              Skin So Soft was our Go To to keep them at bay

Comment

Vanilla spray(1/3 mexican vanilla 2/3 water) works better than anything I have found for gnats.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                  Vanilla spray(1/3 mexican vanilla 2/3 water) works better than anything I have found for gnats.

That’s what my grandma used on us at Houston County Lake. They used to wear us out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are they akin to the dreaded dog ****** gnat?

Comment

Rymes with decker lol

Comment

Vanilla works the best.

Comment

I had forgotten about those bastages. They’re tiny but would leave a whelp! Parents had a place just outside of Elkhart in Anderson County & we would have to spray down with skin so soft anytime we were outside during summer months. Glad they’re not down here in South Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                            Buffalo gnats have always been an issue here around Fairfield and yes, they will wear your azz out. 20x worse than mosquitos. Skin so Soft is the go to for most folks, and it works well. Several fellas I know will wipe a dab of diesel behind their ears and they say it works......
                            After that deer tick infected me I would gladly put diesel or anything else on to keep that from being a repeat. Those ticks tore the ranch horses up really bad. One dropped dead. There were so many raccoons that use the creek behind the house as a highway. I suspect the ticks may have benefited from the heavy coon population.

Had to spray my clothes and boots down heavily with Permethrin prior to wearing. A constant battle with ticks, gnats, and probably some no seeums that feast on human flesh.

Comment

bullfrog mosquito coast works well on them, has sun block and is sweat resistant

Comment

Working...
                              X