Power Companies-Which One To Choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Companies-Which One To Choose?

I'm currently with reliant, but my contract is up and I am wanting to see what else is out there. I did the PowerToChoose.org route, but the ones that I wanted to look at had very shady reviews. I don't want to get into something and then get screwed over; I've always been with either TXU or Reliant, so I always knew what to expect, even if their price wasn't the best.

So what are some companies out there that y'all would recommend? And has anyone here used StarTex Power and have been happy with them?

We had startex for a while, like all of them they had a great introductory rate and afterwards it went up and we switched again. We are about to be out of contract again and are going to give Energyogre.com a try. For $10/mo they take care of switching you each time your contract runs out and making sure that you get the best rates (sometimes rates lower than I can find on power to choose), based on your historical usage.

Comment

We've been with Startex for several years now....each time we are up for renewal they give us a better rate than anyone else is offering. We like them.

Comment

Go to powertochoose.org and pick the cheapest one that has decent reviews. All they are doing is processing your bill.

Utility company still delivers the same power they always did.

"An honest government has no fear of an armed population".

Comment

We've been using green mountain energy for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Many of the companies have different rates at different electricity amounts used. Look at your last bills, the kWh used, and the price. Call the different companies. They will give you different options and will give you a quote for each kWh of your previous months. That is how you know for certain if you are getting a better rate for your usage. Many companies provide incentives for new customers, etc. I just switched from Reliant to Gexa. I called both companies and asked for a price based on each of my 5 past months bills. I got multiple options from both companies and compared. GEXA was better for my case currently. So call TXU, Reliant, Gexa, and whomever you want off of the powertochose list.

Comment

I use energy ogre, https://www.energyogre.com/

forget all this negotiating and looking at prices, they get the best price for the contract and take care of the renewing/negotiating/etc....for $10/mth, well worth it. so far, last months bill was $100 and the A/C has been churning pretty often...

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post
                We had startex for a while, like all of them they had a great introductory rate and afterwards it went up and we switched again. We are about to be out of contract again and are going to give Energyogre.com a try. For $10/mo they take care of switching you each time your contract runs out and making sure that you get the best rates (sometimes rates lower than I can find on power to choose), based on your historical usage.
                I'm giving Energy Ogre a pretty hard look right now. Never even knew they existed, but for $10/month, I think it may be well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                  I'm giving Energy Ogre a pretty hard look right now. Never even knew they existed, but for $10/month, I think it may be well worth it.
                  Everything I read about them has been positive. You can cancel their service any time, although you can't cancel the current contract you're subject to with the electricity co, so I figure it's a few bucks a month and I don't have the hassle.

Comment

Also - they can send you a bill analysis and pick a plan for you, you get the final "yes" or "no" before they can sign you up, so it may be a good exercise to go through to see what kind of rate/contract they'd recommend.

Comment

Curious why you are switching from Reliant?

Comment

Go to powertochoose.org...click on 2,000kw rates for 1 year, I change providers every year.

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                          Curious why you are switching from Reliant?
                          Just because, really. I don't have any complaints with them, but if I can get the same product for a cheaper rate, then why not? The plans that I would have to renew to would put me anywhere from $0.08 to $0.11/kwh, but I have seen anywhere from $0.01 to $0.049, depending on my usage. I know of others that have used companies like Pennywise and Infuse who pay $50-60 less than I do for as big or bigger homes that are the same age.

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                            Just because, really. I don't have any complaints with them, but if I can get the same product for a cheaper rate, then why not? The plans that I would have to renew to would put me anywhere from $0.08 to $0.11/kwh, but I have seen anywhere from $0.01 to $0.049, depending on my usage. I know of others that have used companies like Pennywise and Infuse who pay $50-60 less than I do for as big or bigger homes that are the same age.
                            FYI - I did all my research, calling, signing up etc in less than an hour. Now I am not trying to put other people down, but I don't make $120 an hour, so it is definitely worth my time to find out for myself instead of paying someone else to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post
                              Also - they can send you a bill analysis and pick a plan for you, you get the final "yes" or "no" before they can sign you up, so it may be a good exercise to go through to see what kind of rate/contract they'd recommend.
                              Thanks for the info. I had no idea there was a company like that. I signed up with them, so we'll see what happens. From the reviews I've seen, it looks to be worth $10/month.

Comment

Working...
                              X