Elk Hunting Nightmare...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk Hunting Nightmare...

An elk hunt turned ugly for a group of Minnesotans on a first-time outing near Jackson, Wyoming, on Sunday, Sept. 26. Seventy-nine-year-old Bob Geringer and two unnamed hunting companions shot three cow elk and one calf around 9 a.m. as the animals congregated on an island in the Snake River. They...

---something to think about before you shoot.

yankees

Comment

Should be no big deal. Non-hunters just make it a big deal every single chance they get.

It is something to think about if ever hunting in an area like that.

Comment

I had some interactions with hikers and cyclists while hunting on COE land.

Even had a visit from the police for the 'murder scene' i created while dragging an arrowed doe away from my stand and up the trailhead.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

What rules did they break? Any meat wasted?

Comment

Originally posted by bermise View Post
            What rules did they break? Any meat wasted?
            No. I'm wondering why it took the(or a) warden so long to get there? Sounds like instead of helping, he just stood around and fussed at them.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
              No. I'm wondering why it took the(or a) warden so long to get there? Sounds like instead of helping, he just stood around and fussed at them.
              That's what I was thinking.

I always say who cares.. A hunter pays for the tag. Once you do not waste the meat and get it home no one cares how much goes in the trash. Who complains when others buy beef and lets it spoil?

I understand it's all optics...but still pretty stupid.

Comment

Good grief, I know that warden personally. Read an accurate article.
                He did get them help, lined up a boat for them to use but they overturned it in the river.
                The idiots shot elk in a spot they could not get to but hey they got their elk down right.
                Due to irresponsible planning the elk lay their most of the day in the sun and were not recovered til the next day.

They chose to hunt on a very popular hiking trail, yes legal but really? The trail is owned by the JH land trust and is well known as a popular dog walking and hiking trail.

Comment

All self inflicted wounds, not the GW fault. I’m sure the GW has a large territory to cover and it’s not his job to help some dopes pack out their game.

It’s like shooting a ram on a shear cliff. Sure you can hit him, but can you GO GET HIM?

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                    He did get them help, lined up a boat for them to use but they overturned it in the river.
                    The idiots shot elk in a spot they could not get to but hey they got their elk down right.
                    Due to irresponsible planning the elk lay their most of the day in the sun and were not recovered til the next day.

They chose to hunt on a very popular hiking trail, yes legal but really? The trail is owned by the JH land trust and is well known as a popular dog walking and hiking trail.

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...f08ed5a32.html
                    I agree with you. Before you shoot an elk, you should make **** sure you can retrieve it. Most people dont realize the work it takes just skinning and quartering an elk thats laying on the ground. And these people were old and shot multiple.

Comment

https://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...f08ed5a32.html
                      Thank you for saving me to have to type all of that! I was familiarized with the story last week. YES, YES, YES, it was ALL legal but just not very bright idea. Sinking the boat the warden got for them was........duh! Then had to let them sit all day and night until they paid a guy to help them with another boat. Now......all that being said......some of the dog walkers and trail walkers were actually giving congrats to the hunters. But lets be honest, NOT A GREAT LOOK!

Comment

Meh, I can think of worse "nightmares" in the elk woods. Would I have done things differently? Yes. But this story just sounds like a PITA, not a "nightmare".

Congrats to the hunters, bet they learned a lot. Also, I want to get a tag there now since it sounds like its a guaranteed hunt LOL

Comment

I can't help but wonder how that elk meat turned out ? 33 hrs after the shot it was retrieved. Did they waste their tags, hopefully not.

In all fairness they were hunting before the walkers were out and about but should have done a little research on the area. It is well known as a hiking trail.
                          The unethical comments are really out of line, elk can swim just fine and have long legs for fording a river.

Hunting that area can be a zoo, have at it WItoTx, bring your track shoes to claim your elk.

Comment

I would think that ropes to pull quarters across the deep areas would have worked once they used the canoe to reach the island.

Comment

I can't help but wonder how that elk meat turned out ? 33 hrs after the shot it was retrieved. Did they waste their tags, hopefully not.

In all fairness they were hunting before the walkers were out and about but should have done a little research on the area. It is well known as a hiking trail.
                              The unethical comments are really out of line, elk can swim just fine and have long legs for fording a river.

Hunting that area can be a zoo, have at it WItoTx, bring your track shoes to claim your elk.
                              If they didnt get the guts out in a decent time, they lost some meat.

Comment

Working...
                              X