Creating a Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
    If I want to leave every single asset I own to my wife only, then why can't I just put that in a handwritten will?
    Do what you feel is best for your specific situation. Life experiences that I have seen where due to the Tx laws on this topic it left the surviving spouses without the necessary funds needed to raise their families. Why chance something so important if a technicality could cause unneeded problems in such a terrible time. This can be researched very easily on the internet. Good luck.

Comment

If I want to leave every single asset I own to my wife only, then why can't I just put that in a handwritten will?
      She will have a LOT of red tape to go through, and if any of her, or your, children want to cause a problem over it, it could be even worse. It's almost always a good idea to have an attorney draw up a will. I don't like spending money on attorneys, either...
      Last edited by softpoint; 10-12-2021, 07:21 PM.

Comment

What if you die together in a car wreck?

Comment

Okay, okay.....I will update my will instead of handwriting one. I just hate lawyers so much.....

Comment

Creating a Will

Yes you can do a holographic will. Yes you can do a Will online. Yes it may work. But more likely than not, your hard earned money you wanted to leave to your heirs will go to attorneys trying to make sense of what you intended but messed up. Cheaper in the long run to pay someone to do it right the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Okay, okay.....I will update my will instead of handwriting one. I just hate lawyers so much.....
              Would you care to share what makes you hate lawyers so much, just to put some context on the situation? You carry a lot of anger so there must be a specific reason.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                Yes you can do a holographic will. Yes you can do a Will online. Yes it may work. But more likely than not, your hard earned money you wanted to leave to your heirs will go to attorneys trying to make sense of what you intended but messed up. Cheaper in the long run to pay someone to do it right the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Intelligent post.

Note: I do Wills and contest Wills for a living. I can assure those of you wondering that the living contesting Wills is much better than the living creating Wills. Just an FYI for those on the fence.

Comment

Be careful with the hand written wills. We learned the hard way with my dad's.

Comment

I got kids, she has kids, why do you say its not that simple? I'm interested........
                    …if you and your wife both die in a car wreck tomorrow, what will happen will be a fustercluck and cost more than a professionally prepared will in advance.

Comment

My brother in law's estate is currently intestate. It's a messy process that we've just begun, and he really had no assets. I can't image a complicated estate with multiple heirs being intestate. Very good advice to have an attorney draw up a will. It's so much cleaner in the end.

Comment

And most all investment, bank, credit union accounts have beneficiaries that you can list. FILL THEM OUT and KEEP THEM UPDATED!!!!!

Several times I have given funds to an Ex because the account cards were not updated.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          And most all investment, bank, credit union accounts have beneficiaries that you can list. FILL THEM OUT and KEEP THEM UPDATED!!!!!

Several times I have given funds to an Ex because the account cards were not updated.
                          Yep. Its called Payable on Death. My father did not have a will but he did have POD setup on his bank accounts.

Comment

Following....

Comment

Sent you a PM.

Comment

Had ours done by a very good attorney here in town along with everything else that goes with one, power of attorney and suck, $500

Comment

Working...
                                X